Bathroom Fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an xpelair in-line fan for my en-suite. I've noticed over the last few months that it takes about 10 seconds to build up to full speed. Sound kinda cool actually, like its some massive piece of equipment starting up...

Anyway, this morning it just buzzed for a while then got going. Its clearly not in the best of health, and I wondered whether this was likely to be a build up of fluff or similar that a good clean would sort or something more terminal.

Sponsored Links
Why not look to see if there is a build up of fluff, and if so give it a good clean?

some of the budget fans have a plastic plain bearing, which can gum up with dirt, especially if there is a smoker.

I have dismantled and washed some of these in soft water with detergent, but it is not good to get any electrical parts wet.

You can buy a better one with a ball-bearing motor now at reasonable cost.

Show us a photo of your old one for suggestions.

If you find a lot of dust and fluff in it (bathrooms seem prone to that) you might consider adding a washable filter on the room grille, though this will reduce airflow a bit.

Sponsored Links
If you use talc, it's fuggered and will only get worse!

Replace it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back