bathroom floor tiling question.

Thanks gaz,

So at the risk of labouring the point i need:

BAL Bond SBR (sealing the underside of the floor)
BAL Single Part Fastflex (adhesive for the floor tiles)
BAL Mosaic-Fix (adhesive for the wall tiles)
BAL WP1 Tanking kit (tanking the walls, floor and plinth in shower area)
BAL Microflex grout
BAL Microseal sealant

Also, what is the general concensus on Homelux matting as a means of tanking instead of WP1?

Sponsored Links
Ive decided against buying aquapanel..... mostly because its such a nightmare to get it bought and delivered without paying through the nose for delivery after youve waited 4 weeks for them to buy it in.... grrr .... so Im just going to use 15mm wbp in the shower area and tank the whole area including the plinth.
What’s with the ply? You may as well use MR plasterboard & tank that; it’s cheaper, lighter & far easier to cut than ply; but I still think your making a mistake not using Aquapanel.

While I am buying the tiles for the shower area, I will be buying the adhesive and also the tanking sealant. I understand that BAL are recommended and I will go with that if that is what is recommended. What do people feel is the best brand/type/product code for sealant, adhesive and grout?
I use BAL exclusively & have never had a single failure; rather than my chucking in my two penneth, follow Garry’s advice for your addy/grout; after all, he should know. ;)

Make sure none of you grout lines coincide with any joints in the boards, both wall & floor.

Also, I may be misunderstanding something Richard said previously.... he said to tank the underside and the sides of my 25mm ply for the floor ... but not the top surface to be tiled.... Am I understanding this right?

No it's not right & I categorically did not say tank the underside & edges of the floor, I said seal with SBR; I did, however, say if you use ply in a wet area you must tank that. It’s worth considering that if you have a recessed shower valve with concealed pipes, your ply tile base will also be at risk from behind if there is a problem with the valve or unions & no amount of tanking on the front of the ply is going to protect against that.

Thanks gaz,

So at the risk of labouring the point i need:

BAL Bond SBR (sealing the underside of the floor)
BAL Single Part Fastflex (adhesive for the floor tiles)
BAL Mosaic-Fix (adhesive for the wall tiles)
BAL WP1 Tanking kit (tanking the walls, floor and plinth in shower area)
BAL Microflex grout
BAL Microseal sealant

Also, what is the general concensus on Homelux matting as a means of tanking instead of WP1?

Homelux matting is a more complicated way of tanking, but following the manufacturers instructions you will be ok, WP1 however is a simple tape and paint on solution.

Gaz

Sponsored Links
many thanks all,

Just placed the order for

2 x (25mm x 8 x 4) WBP for for floor
and
3 x (12.5mm x 8 x4) MR plasterboard for walls...

will use a piece of the 11mm ply I remove from the shower area to patch the hole I made elsewhere...

see, I do listen to advice ;-P

Paula

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back