Bathroom flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, sorry if this has already been answered but I really need some advice regarding floorboards and ply as I'm new to this.

I live in an old Victorian cottage with original floorboards in the bathroom which don't look great due to them being taken up, cut and put back down for when the plumbing was added to move bathroom upstairs.

So I've decided to go for a nice dark wood effect vinyl as there are so many nooks and crannies tiling or laminate or even kardean type flooring just would look messy and be too hard for me to do.

My plan is to lay 18m marine play and screw every 200/300m with 25m wood screws. Which I think is ok....????

Then as its marine ply do I still need to seal it with a PVA? Also as I am going to lay sheet vinyl will the screw holes show or do I need to wood filer and sand to make neat before I lay the vinyl...?

I don't have a lot of time as need to get it done before new carpets are fitted so any speedy advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

L x

Sponsored Links
Why so thick with the ply?

If your original floor is structuraly sound then use 6mm ply - you can trim this with a stanley knife - 18mm will throw out your transition to the hall creating a noticeable step

sheet vinyl is ok on 4mm but 6mm is just as cheap

screws should be chosen so as not to penetrate the original floor boards and be careful of pipes and cables underneath 100 - 150mm spacing is better

Good luck

Thanks for reply. The whole upstairs is floorboards currently so once carpet and underlay fitted I thought 18m would make it less noticeable between rooms.

Does ply need to be sealed with a pva? Or as its marine ply will I be ok?

Also curious if little holes or marks of screws will show through vinyl so not sure whether to fill?

Thanks again

PVA doesn't waterproof, when it gets wet it returns to a gooey state.

Sponsored Links
No it doesnt need sealing.....

screw holes depend on your skill with the screwdriver :LOL:

...fitters tend to use either ringshank nails or staples which leave less of a hole
screws can be removed for access to your pipework nails cannot easily be removed
the screw should be driven in so it is just level with the surface

as for the ply - whatever is on offer at your supplier "marine" is overkill

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back