Bathroom furniture - use feet for not

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have purchased a load of bathroom units (sink, cabinet, toilet) from a large store. I have put the units together and I was expecting them to be fitted to the floor with no gap below them so that I can make a seal with the tiled floor.

The furniture does however come with plastic feet (I assume for levelling purposes, so my query is: how to most people get the floor to unit seal?

1. Do you ignore the feet and just fit the units directly on top of the floor - tiling up to the bottom of the unit. (most likely option I guess)
2. Add a small tile bordering the unit.
3. Something else - maybe tile underneath the units and stand the feet on top of the tiles, wasting lots of money on expensive tiles!

I am sure there is a positively simple answer, but this is a little confusing as the depth of the cabinet feet is about 15mm.

Thanks in advance,

Jon

Sponsored Links
Tile under the units with cheap tiles of the same thickness as the expensive tiles.

You will regret doing this however if you later change the position or style of the units.

Sponsored Links
if there is a cabinet or vanity unit made of MDF or chipboard, it needs to be kept off the tiled floor as any water from splashes or wet-mopping will soak in and damage the board.

if there is a cabinet or vanity unit made of MDF or chipboard, it needs to be kept off the tiled floor as any water from splashes or wet-mopping will soak in and damage the board.

Think that is the answer then. Looking again I have found that the lowest position is about 10mm off the ground. I would guess therefore that I should take my tiles a reasonable distance back to the wall (maybe finish the tile off rather than cutting to size) and then once the floor is laid install the cabinets.

Is that the generally accepted approach?

Tile the whole floor. you dont want an untiled area for the water to collect in

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back