Bathroom heater flex connection advice.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have allowed access to a neighbour’s home whilst he is away to both a carpenter, in order that a new built-in fridge can be installed, as well as an electrician to fit a replacement bathroom heater. It is in regard to the latter that I have a question.

It is a Dimplex FX20V with a pullcord and its flex is connected to a flush cord outlet like one of these. I have followed the circuit back to the consumer unit to find that it is connected to a 16A MCB (RCD covered) which I think seems to be correct. But should the flex from the unit not be connected an FCU flex outlet? I thought this was mandatory. But perhaps you cannot fit an FCU in a bathroom? Any comments would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Put the DP Switched FCU with neon outside the bathroom door, label it BATHROOM HEATER, and insert a 13amp fuse for a 3kw Heater, or a 5amp for a 1kw heater etc. problem solved. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

should the flex from the unit not be connected an FCU flex outlet?
No, not necessarilly.
I thought this was mandatory.
No, it is protected by a 16A MCB plus the RCD.
As long as the cable is capable of handling more than 16A then all is in order.
But perhaps you cannot fit an FCU in a bathroom?
You can if more than 600mm vertically from the edge of the bath or shower AND it is suitable for the environment of the room.

No point if not necessary.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back