Bathroom Joist Strength

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All. I'm putting a bigger bath in a small first-floor bathroom in a Victorian house and want to make sure I'm safely within the floor's load-bearing capability. The bath (60kg, plus water, plus person) would sit on chipboard and span four or five joists.

This room is 2.4m x 2m, but is one corner of a larger room (5m x 6m) that was subdivided using stud decades ago, and its joists are in fact 5m long, 63mm x 270mm, at 360mm centres.

Building regs seems to say that 63mm x 220mm at 400mm centres is good up to 4.91m, assuming a dead load of up to 51kg/sqm and imposed load of up to 153kg/sqm.

So, my joists are 50mm deeper and 40mm closer together than that spec, but 90mm longer.

I've also read that bathroom joists should be double — does that mean that I should be bolting on sisters to the joists under the bath? If so, is it enough to add sisters only to the 2m sections of joist that are within the bathroom, or do I need to double up on the entire 5m length of the joists that will be under the bath??

It's all a bit confusing, tbh. Any thoughts gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
Any bath you put in a room of that size wont be much different in loading to any bath that is already there on those joists

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back