bathroom layout

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a small bathroom, 7x9 foot, currently has a bath, washbasin, toilet and shower enclosure. I personally prefer the separate shower arrangement, but my missus would prefer the shower over the bath, giving us a bit more floor space and feels this would make the room more attractive to potential house purchasers. I disagree and feel we would gain nothing as a separate shower beats an over bath one any day. To save me from divorce, whats your views?

Sponsored Links
Personally in a room that size I would go for the over-bath shower, with a glass screen.

same here.
i think them standard 800 x 800 showers are like standing in a phone box
least you can move about abit more in a shower over the bath.

If you only have one bathroom, shower over is the way to go.

A house without a bath, might not decrease the actual value of the property, but will hugely decrease the potential buyers market. No one with children will buy without a bath, unless they love the house so much and are happy to refit the bathroom on completion

Sponsored Links
Possibly, but my bathroom is about 6 by 7, and I'm intending to remove the bath and put in a 1200 by 800 shower when I refurb it. This will give it a more open and contemporary feel, which should make it more saleable. Baths are a thing of the past, especially with an increase in demand for water from an increase in population, coupled with no appreciable efforts being made by water companies to store more water.

i work on a site one time and the buyer made us fit a shower tray instead of a bath. a year later one of the couple lost their job and as a result they had to sell up. the estate agent told them the property had acutually devalued cos they hadn't an actutal 'bath' room. and classed it as a shower room. check this out with an estate agent though. i would rather have a nice roomy bathroom than trying to ram a shower enclosure in. as somebody already pointed out, familys with young kids may not wish to purchase such a property so becareful :)

Well, I take your point - there's no use arguing with experience. On the other hand, for us it'll be more beneficial to have a shower than a bath, and should we ever decide to sell in the future then, being in the trade, I'll whack a bath back in and re-do the room. A brand new bathroom should be a selling plus come that time!

Just been through the same argument and in the end we compromised and bought a P shaped bath with curved shower screen over, which should give a better shower with the possibility of the occasional bath. We even managed to find a bath with an upstand around the base of the screen!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back