Bathroom led light replacement

WSB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One of the led lights in my bathroom has now finally stopped working and I need to change the bulb.
Have pulled the unit out and can see it's a JC94472. It has a large green connector block at the back made by lennel. It looks like it should just pull away from this green connector but it's very tight and I didn't want to force it just in case.
Can you just replace the bulb inside the unit or must the whole unit that connects to the big green lennel connector be replaced?
Any hints or tips on this would be greatly received.

Sponsored Links
I quick google gets this 1708252669383.png and the add says 7.5 watt and a bulb holder does not give a wattage so it must be an integral using so whole thing needs replacing. I would guess when you get replacements there will be instructions on how the junction box opens.

Personally I would want GU10 fitting so I can replace the bulb. If a bulb blows I can walk into local shop and buy one, if I need complete fitting got to find an electrical whole sale outlet or buy from internet, so I want a bulb I can pick up in the supermarket when I do the weekly shop.

• Thanks
Reactions: WSB
Sponsored Links
I quick google gets this View attachment 333369 and the add says 7.5 watt and a bulb holder does not give a wattage so it must be an integral using so whole thing needs replacing. I would guess when you get replacements there will be instructions on how the junction box opens.

Personally I would want GU10 fitting so I can replace the bulb. If a bulb blows I can walk into local shop and buy one, if I need complete fitting got to find an electrical whole sale outlet or buy from internet, so I want a bulb I can pick up in the supermarket when I do the weekly shop.
Completely agree with you but think these were fitted originally by the electrician as they are bathroom approved ip65 rated. Hence, approved for wet environments as opposed to the usual that you pink up from the supermarket.

I quick google gets this View attachment 333369 and the add says 7.5 watt and a bulb holder does not give a wattage so it must be an integral using so whole thing needs replacing. I would guess when you get replacements there will be instructions on how the junction box opens.

Personally I prefer a light that lights the room and what I'm doing, if that's the bathroom it needs to illuminate me.
I've recently been away for a week and stayed in 3 hotel rooms, one of the things I like on my return is the bathroom where I can see my face without deep shadows to shave and the thing that always amazes me is the difficulty of ducking around the room to get light on my hair visible in a mirror.
Sorry to generate a tangent.

I did break open a standard LED bulb bulb inner1.pngbulb inner2.png not much in them, smart lamp version 20220603_113820_1.jpg contains a lot more of course, the black spot 1708258094607.png in the centre of the LED means likely that was cause of failure, but had not intension of repairing so did not bother to test. Did open up one where saw a clear dry joint so repaired, but took no pictures of it. The capacitor in picture two is what stops the 100 Hz shimmer from the LED and when the whole package is small, the likely hood of a shimmer increases, the capacitor does not like heat, and has a limited life, so that is the weak point in the bulb.

I started fitting LED from Pound World which went to the wall in 2018 so likely 2016 when I got the first, rather pathetic at 0.58 watt, but did not really need the lights, it was just they looked silly with no bulb in, so more like 2017 before I got any bulbs with a reasonable output, I think still around 3 watt, moved house 2019 so LED's in this house no older than 5 years, most a lot less. I must have around the 25 mark, and think I have changed around 4 as dead, but also taken around 10 out of service due to flicker, although not stopped working.

So it would seem average life is around 3 years. This does not match up with the hours stated on the bulb, but considering how many lights around the house I do not want to have to get out tools to replace them. There is always the odd bulb which really lasts, seem to remember reading how some fire house in USA has a bulb which has lasted over 100 years, but that's the odd one out, and it does not give out any useful light anymore, it is just a dim red glow.

So unless forced, I want a lamp with renewable bulbs.

• Thanks
I did break open a standard LED bulb View attachment 333378View attachment 333379 not much in them, smart lamp version View attachment 333380 contains a lot more of course, the black spot View attachment 333381 in the centre of the LED means likely that was cause of failure, but had not intension of repairing so did not bother to test. Did open up one where saw a clear dry joint so repaired, but took no pictures of it. The capacitor in picture two is what stops the 100 Hz shimmer from the LED and when the whole package is small, the likely hood of a shimmer increases, the capacitor does not like heat, and has a limited life, so that is the weak point in the bulb.

I started fitting LED from Pound World which went to the wall in 2018 so likely 2016 when I got the first, rather pathetic at 0.58 watt, but did not really need the lights, it was just they looked silly with no bulb in, so more like 2017 before I got any bulbs with a reasonable output, I think still around 3 watt, moved house 2019 so LED's in this house no older than 5 years, most a lot less. I must have around the 25 mark, and think I have changed around 4 as dead, but also taken around 10 out of service due to flicker, although not stopped working.

So it would seem average life is around 3 years. This does not match up with the hours stated on the bulb, but considering how many lights around the house I do not want to have to get out tools to replace them. There is always the odd bulb which really lasts, seem to remember reading how some fire house in USA has a bulb which has lasted over 100 years, but that's the odd one out, and it does not give out any useful light anymore, it is just a dim red glow.

So unless forced, I want a lamp with renewable bulbs.
I agree but can you get bathroom rated bulbs that can be easily replaced like you say?

I do not change bulbs while soaking in the bath, OK for a rental different when some one may list it as a fault, but too high to in the main come under bathroom rules.
It's for my home property.
These were fitted originally by a registered electrician about 11 years ago so guess he had to do things by the book.

Or on the cheap, I have an integral outside lamp, not what I would normally select, but cost £4 and to be frank with the LED's in top of lamp facing down it lights the area far better than with a bulb where the bulb has base at bottom so light going up, put silver foil in the top to reflect the light down again, but the integral lamp is still better.

However when it fails I will be faced with fitting a whole new outside lamp. But at £4 worth it. It was stock being sold off.

• Thanks
Hi All,
Back again.
Want to replace with the following product from screwfix but was wondering whether I can just wire it up or if I need some form of transformer etc?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back