Bathroom light/fan/fuse box wiring...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I've recently moved into a new house to find the extractor in our bathroom not working. In addition, the 3-bulb halogen light fixture has now given up so I was planning on replacing with a couple of LED spots and fixing the extractor at the same time.

Taking the halogen fixture out, it seems the wiring is a little more intricate than I was hoping! Now contemplating just replacing the fixture like for like but thought I'd post here first for your advice, tips and comments on the current wiring, as per my image below...

20161028_102008 copy.jpg

Next, I took to the fuse box in the cupboard next to the bathroom, to find the wiring not even connected!
20161028_124119 copy.jpg

Any advice?!

Thanks in advance!!

Sponsored Links
Not labelled - Line(live) input, Line to switch and Permanent Line to Fan. The unconnected wire is presumably why it isn't working.

(N) - correct Neutral.
(E) - correct Earth.
(L) - Black Switched line and Yellow Switched line to fan

Thanks so much for your replies! So the wiring at the fixture looks correct?

You're probably already aware but the 2nd image is the fuse in the adjacent cupboard, not the actual light switch.

I'm almost certain it's the 2nd grey cable that enters the ceiling - it runs in that direction of the cupboard from the the light fixture.

Sponsored Links
You need to be more than almost certain!

Invest in a sub-£10 multimeter from Maplin or the like and, with all the power off (check with the multimeter it is off), use the continuity setting to test one end of the suspect cable.

If you short R&B at one end and the other to the MM, if it is the same cable, it will bleat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back