Bathroom light switches - 1 or 2 way?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

Please could you tell me how I can find out if my bathroom light switch is 1 or 2 way? I'm not really sure what that means, what's the difference?

Also, I live in an upper maisonette. Would it be safe to assume that, whatever type mine is, my downstairs neighbour's would be the same?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hi all.

Please could you tell me how I can find out if my bathroom light switch is 1 or 2 way?
Open it up and look to see if it has 2 terminals or 3...

I'm not really sure what that means, what's the difference?
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:single-way-lighting

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:two-way-lighting

But a 2-way switch can be used as a 1-way. If you can only turn your bathroom light on and off from one switch, you've got 1-way switching (but it might still be a 2-way switch), if you can turn it on and off from two switches you've got 2-way switching.

Why do you want to know? Is it so you can buy a new switch? If so then unless you have 2-way switching you don't have to use a 2-way switch, but you can.

Also, I live in an upper maisonette. Would it be safe to assume that, whatever type mine is, my downstairs neighbour's would be the same?
No.

Many thanks.

Yes, they are both single pull cords from within the bathroom, no other 2nd switch, so the chances are high that it's a 1 way.

I want to replace both the switches with new ones that are hopefully quieter (we can hear each other). I can find 1 way ones that are suitable, but am having problems finding cheap 2 way ones.

In an earlier thread when I asked about this, I was advised that switches by Volex or Crabtree would be my best bet for quietness.

Right - now I have to contend with the choice of 6amp or 16amp.

I think that 6A is for standard light switches, whereas 16A is for other circuits such as heaters, showers etc... is that correct?

Sponsored Links
Yup - 6A for lights.

Don't ever try to use a 16A for a shower though...

When was the property built?

bloody hell they must be making one hell of a noise or someone must have a serious incontinence problem if you are bothering each other that much. as someone has already said you can use either one-way or two-way which ever suits your needs better

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back