Bathroom lighting... recessed spotlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I'm buying my lighting for my new bathroom. I currently have one normal energy-saving-bulb in there, on a pull cord switch.

I'd like to replace this with 4 x 35w halogen recessed lights with a dimming pull cord.

Having googled plenty on my options I've come to the conclusion that I could do with a little help with the purchasing of the stuff.

I know I need IP65 lights as one will be above my shower, and I've decided to get either these http://www.thelightingsuperstore.co.uk/product.asp?productid=35452
or their 12v equivalent (these: http://www.thelightingsuperstore.co.uk/product.asp?productid=35455 )

Now, I'm, afraid I've come to a load of questions...

Firstly - what is better 12v or 240v? Is there a lot of difference? If I get the 12v version I believe I need to get 4 transformers such as this http://www.thelightingsuperstore.co.uk/product.asp?productid=48041 (one for each light) and clear loft insulation for each light and a room for each transformer to be located nearby (but not within 9 inches due to heat). This seems a bit more of a pain than just getting the 240v ones, which don't need a transformer and are therefore cheaper. Much of this info I've gotten from here: http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/Lighting/VoltageDrop.html

I'm also supplying the cable as well and it appears from the TLC site that I need 1mm cable...?

Finally,

Will it be OK to run 4 of these lights (either 240v or 12v) using a dimpull switch like this:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In...Index/Wiring_Accessories~Dimmers_All/Dimpull/

It seems to me from the info that it is OK, but I'd like to check to be sure :)

Thanks,

Having had a browse this is a really friendly and helpful forum that I'll probably be using often!!

James

Sponsored Links
12v lamps will give out more light than the 240v equivalents. Both are grossly inefficient compared to the light you currently have.
12v types do require individual transformers, which costs more to buy and means more things to go wrong.

Both types get excessively hot, so insulation will need to be removed from where the lights are fitted. Sealed boxes of non-combustible material will have to be fitted over them in the loft to comply with building regulations, insulation being put back over the boxes.

Dimming halogen lamps will result in the lamps going black inside and significantly shorten their lifespan. Generally not a good idea.

The lights on that lighting website are hideously expensive.

I'm buying my lighting for my new bathroom. I currently have one normal energy-saving-bulb in there, on a pull cord switch.

I'd like to replace this with 4 x 35w halogen recessed lights with a dimming pull cord.
Please stop and think about what you're doing, from the perspective of a sane man. You have a single lamp rated at less than 20w, which im guessing lights the room nicely. You're replacing it with a total of 140w of inefficient red hot incandescent torches designed for display lighting, which will not light the room up nearly as well as the CFL you have now.

If you must have downlights, use mains voltage - 1. less to go wrong, and 2. you can replace the halogen lights with CFL energy savers.

In response to flameport:

Lol OK that's thrown all my ideas out the window. I understand that they're less efficient than the current light, but I don't like the current light, whilst I do like the idea of halogen spot lights (and have seen them in other people's places and think they look nice). The current light can't stay anyway, as it's not IP65 and the shower enclosure will be moving underneath where the current light is.

It appears you've implied I should stick with 240v rather than 12v (as there are less things to go wrog with 240v). This is fine, 140 watts is plenty bright enough for my room anyway.

I am a bit conerned about what you said about dimming though - these lights are claimed to be suitable for dimming. What would you suggest instead?

Also - re price - could you point me to a website where I can find IP65/fire rated dimable tilt/swivel recessed spotlights for cheaper please :)

Any ideas on the dimpull or the cable diameter?

Cheers,

James

Sponsored Links

Please stop and think about what you're doing, from the perspective of a sane man. You have a single lamp rated at less than 20w, which im guessing lights the room nicely. You're replacing it with a total of 140w of inefficient red hot incandescent torches designed for display lighting, which will not light the room up nearly as well as the CFL you have now.

If you must have downlights, use mains voltage - 1. less to go wrong, and 2. you can replace the halogen lights with CFL energy savers.

Hiya,

Thanks for the info on 240v Vs 12v. :)

From my perspective as a sane man, energy saving bulbs take an annoying amount of time to warm up, are undimmable, and not recessed, which looks quite unslightly in a bathroom.:)

Edited to clarify. By look quite unsightly, I mean they're not very good at mood kind of lighting and relaxing, and look a bit clinical by hanging from the ceiling and shining out so bright but with no opportunity to control their brightness. (eg, if you want to have a bath with more calming lighting).

Hi folks,

oh dear, i have a suspicion that you may be getting some advice about that soon.. :)
Now, I'm, afraid I've come to a load of questions...
i think you will see a theme/pattern to the answers.
......Having had a browse this is a really friendly and helpful forum that I'll probably be using often!!

James
ooh, id say its still early days, considering the top of this post. :D have a nice day!

Wow you guys are all very energy concious. :)

I'm happy to listen to suggestions if you have better ideas but so far all I've been told is that what I want is bad without any suitable alternative :)

I'm happy to listen to suggestions if you have better ideas but so far all I've been told is that what I want is bad without any suitable alternative :)

:D

ooh, im a bit bored this afternoon, i hope the shedmeister turns up soon....

:D

ooh, im a bit bored this afternoon, i hope the shedmeister turns up soon....
Sorry I'm not trying to be awkward, I just would be interested to know what you'd suggest to get quality lighting (not neccessarily cheap). I see another thread where ban-all-sheds expressed that he didn't like these sorts of lights but I can't see any alternatives suggested there either.

......Having had a browse this is a really friendly and helpful forum that I'll probably be using often!!

James
ooh, id say its still early days, considering the top of this post. :D have a nice day!
It seems you may be right! Having had a bit of a browse though some other threads related to this subject, it appears to be a bit of an emotional one for many of the people here. Maybe it won't be as friendly as I first thought!

EDIT - I'll start a new thread to ask what is more suitable, as mentioning halogen lighting seems to get very negative responses here![/i]

CFLs to go in downlighters are rubbish. They take 2+ minutes to reach full brighness and the light output is nothing like the halogen equivalent.

LEDs are fine, other than the huge initial cost - BUT dimming LEDs with a normal dimmer switch isn't going to happen, as dimmers have a minimum loading. That dimming pull cord switch has a minimum of 50w - 4 LED lamps will be nowhere near that.

Why do you want a manky pull cord in the bathroom anyway - it isn't necessary.

I see another thread where ban-all-sheds expressed that he didn't like these sorts of lights
You could say that :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Maybe it won't be as friendly as I first thought!
Nah, we're a friendly bunch really. Just dont like downlighters :LOL:

Anyway, the LED light you linked to looks ok, but dont expect it to be anywhere near as bright as they want you to believe. :LOL:

CFLs to go in downlighters are rubbish. They take 2+ minutes to reach full brighness and the light output is nothing like the halogen equivalent.

LEDs are fine, other than the huge initial cost - BUT dimming LEDs with a normal dimmer switch isn't going to happen, as dimmers have a minimum loading. That dimming pull cord switch has a minimum of 50w - 4 LED lamps will be nowhere near that.

Why do you want a manky pull cord in the bathroom anyway - it isn't necessary.

Because there's already one there and I don't want Keith to have to go to too much work. I thought it would be easier to just swap out one pull cord for another.

What are the alternatives? Apart from this:
http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/New-Products/New-Hidden-Bathroom-Dimmer-Switch.html (which I imagine is very expensive), what other dimmers can I have in the bathroom?

Cheers,

James

I see another thread where ban-all-sheds expressed that he didn't like these sorts of lights
You could say that :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Maybe it won't be as friendly as I first thought!
Nah, we're a friendly bunch really. Just dont like downlighters :LOL:

Anyway, the LED light you linked to looks ok, but dont expect it to be anywhere near as bright as they want you to believe. :LOL:

:)

OK so maybe down-lighters aren't the best plan... I think I'll abandon this thread for now and see if I can get some suggestions for bathroom lighting in the other thread I started :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back