Bathroom lighting... recessed spotlights

You stick with your halogen downlighters lad. There is no finer source of illumination for a domestic bathroom :D

Sponsored Links
The problem with the lights you want has nothing to do with the type of bulb in them, which is why it can't be fixed by using LED or CFLs instead of incandescent.

The problem is that they are 2" in diameter, about the same as a Maglight torch, and they are not designed to provide room illumination. They came out of the retail/shop fitting market and they were designed to highlight individual features or display items - many people call them spotlights, because that is what they are.

If you want fluorescent lighting, then go for it, but use lights designed to light a room, not shine a narrow beam onto something.

If you want LED lighting, then go for it, but use lights designed to light a room, not shine a narrow beam onto something.

If you want incandescent lighting, then go for it, but use lights designed to light a room, not shine a narrow beam onto something.

The problem with the lights you want has nothing to do with the type of bulb in them, which is why it can't be fixed by using LED or CFLs instead of incandescent.

The problem is that they are 2" in diameter, about the same as a Maglight torch, and they are not designed to provide room illumination. They came out of the retail/shop fitting market and they were designed to highlight individual features or display items - many people call them spotlights, because that is what they are.

If you want fluorescent lighting, then go for it, but use lights designed to light a room, not shine a narrow beam onto something.

If you want LED lighting, then go for it, but use lights designed to light a room, not shine a narrow beam onto something.

If you want incandescent lighting, then go for it, but use lights designed to light a room, not shine a narrow beam onto something.

OK, well what would you suggest then?

Sponsored Links
Lol now I don't know if you're being sarcastic :)

No sarcasm from me.

A properly designed downlighter installation does actually do a good job of lighting a room, despite what some people will lead you to beleive.

Unfortunatly some of the posters on this site have a misconception that all downlighter installations are bad.

Of course I'm sure we all know that thay are one of the least energy efficient ways of lighting a room, but in the real world, energy efficiency is not always the top priority for everyone when deciding on which sort of lighting to install in their homes.

My parents bathroom is more that adequately lit by 4 x 50W halogen spot lights, i am not going to say that the job couldn't been done the same with a lesser wattage fitting(s) but the bathroom lights are on for no more than 30mins a day at a guess.

Of course I'm sure we all know that thay are one of the least energy efficient ways of lighting a room, but in the real world, energy efficiency is not always the top priority for everyone when deciding on which sort of lighting to install in their homes.
No no no no. If you know they are inefficient you should not use them.

It's nothing to do with absolute energy efficiency - a ceiling full of them with LED lamps would use less energy than a single 100W GLS pendant, as would several with CFLs.

It is all about the relative efficiency of the results they get from the energy they do consume, and from an engineering elegance POV they are disgustingly offensive.

My parents bathroom is more that adequately lit by 4 x 50W halogen spot lights, i am not going to say that the job couldn't been done the same with a lesser wattage fitting(s) but the bathroom lights are on for no more than 30mins a day at a guess.
That doesn't matter - they are being misused, and that is wholly wrong.

USE led AND YOU CAN HAVE MORE , I KNOW THEY SEEM A BIT HARSH BUT THATS THE COLOUR RENDER THAT GETS PRUCHASED
SITING THE FITTINGS CORRECTLY WILL ALSO GIVE BETTER LIGHTING , HALOGENS ARE A FAULSE ECONOMY AND YOU REALLY NEED TO TAKE THIS INTO ACCOUNT AS YOU WILL BE POTLESS BY CHRISTMAS !! HA HA

And if you want LED lamps, use a format or luminaire design which is designed to provide general room illumination, not 2" diameter torches sunk into the ceiling.

Please stop shouting, BTW.

I am putting on my tin hat and hunkering down.....

In my house i have various lights, mainly CFL's and some tubes in the garage and LED GU10's in the utility area, in normal fittings not downlighters.

HOWEVER, in my bathroom, i have 4 downlighters with halogen bulbs, the light is just perfect and combined with the fittings i have gives the look i want. Eeek how shocking, in one room of my house i use non energy efficient lighting because its very aesthetically pleasing and takes minimum room up with the lower than average ceiling.

So if you like the look of them, you install them mate, just don't go mental and put 20 in a room that has the lights on for 5 hours a day.

Oh for god's sake BAS! Look - here's a not-quite-finished bathroom...

It is exclusively illuminated by 5 halogen downlights because that's what the mrs preferred. There are no bright spots of light on the floor at all. Apart from darker areas near the ceiling, the walls are uniformly lit. Who says the goal of lighting a room is to achieve uniform brightness over every square inch of surface anyway? In fact I quite like the darker corners - adds some depth and averts attention from the dead areas of the room. I could add that the downward directional nature of the lighting serves to bring out the texture of the wall tiles. Overall I'm thoroughly satisfied. It might burn 250W at the moment, but they're hardly ever on so I'm not really bothered, and when I replace them with LEDs that'll go down to 25-30W anyway. If I'm in there having a bath, I leave them off anyway because the LEDs on the mirror provide a perfect relaxing ambient light.

To claim these lights cannot provide room illumination, they're just plain wrong, anyone who installs them is an incompetent fool, etc, etc is ridiculous. I'd be very surprised if most of these downlights manufactured and sold today aren't ending up illuminating rooms, and obviously the manufacturers know this and are designing and producing the products for these purposes. The bulb manufacturers are responding with wider beams etc, etc. To claim they exist only for some other purpose and are being horribly abused by people illuminating rooms with them is also ridiculous. And the way you keep ranting on and on about it like a broken record is frankly getting embarrassing, too. So please for the love of god give it a rest! :)

Liam

I have incandescent lights in my house too. Not many, and I am trying to get rid of them, but where I can't I won't.

I am not against incandescent lighting per se, I am against the idea of using 2" torches recessed into the ceiling to provide room illumination.

I am against them with incandescent lamps in them.

I am against them with CFLs in them.

I am against them with LED lamps in them.

They are not aesthetically pleasing because they are so engineeringly offensive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back