Bathroom lighting - rubber bushings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had an electrician visit over the weekend who removed our bathroom light as it had failed and certainly wasn't IP 44 rated. He left me to buy and install a new light fitting though.

My question is about the rubber bushings. Should I just make a hole in them to feed through the cables and screws or remove them? I'm not sure whether all the cables will fit through bushing and whether or not the ones for the screws are sturdy enough to support the light

Sponsored Links
Unfortunatly the quality of many light fittings is very poor and they dont design them in such a way to make it easy/or even sometimes possible to fit like they are suppose to. If the rubber grommet is to small, for say 3 t+e cables you may have, you can either put a joint box above in the ceiling leaving one cable coming through for the light (JB's must be accessible though) or drill a bigger ole and fit a TRS gland or similar. I am sure someone will come along and say this in a minute, so I'l save them the bother, this work is notifiable as it is in the bathroom.

PS... did the electrician leave you with no light in the bathroom over the weekend?! :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back