bathroom light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, im trying to fix a new bathroom light that i got from argos,

it says in the instruction to push the cable through the hole in the fixing plate, there is enough room to push the cable through, but when i took the old light fitting off, there is three cables all wired up to the old light fitting,

what do i do......? please advise me,

thanks steve

Sponsored Links
The three cables will be loop lives neutrals and your switched live.

I.E
Black with red tape or sleeving on it = Switched live from switch
2 X Blacks will be your neutrals
3 X Reds Loop lives

If they are not marked then u will need to buy a voltage tester
(Multimeter)

So to wire to L N E Sitched live goes into the live, neutrals in the neutral, and an extra block on its own with the loop lives in not conected at all to the light.

thanks for the reply,
so if i get a block and put all the same colour wires together, except for the ones i need for the new lighting. will that be ok.

will it be ok to put the wires in the block and tape the block up and leave it on the other side of the back plate.

Sponsored Links
What cables can u see ? tell me and i will give you more info if possible take a photo

tell all colours and amount plz

Firstly before you do anything you need to identify which wire does what. As you have 3 cables entering the existing fitting there is likely a supply in, a supply out and a switch wire.
Are you installing an enclosed type lamp?

no, sorry, not a mark in sight, i live in a ex-council house, you know what they are like, they just bang it all in, and hope for the best...lol

one of those is a switch wire. to find it, turn off the electric first.

Using your trusty multimeter, measure for continuity on each of the 3 cables between red and black, whilst your friend flicks the switch for that light on and off.

When you find an erratic continuity reading (changing with switch flicks), you have found the switch wire. Plenty of diagrams in "for reference" to help you from here ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back