Bathroom mist coat scratching off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Oh it's a mist coat question here we go.

So I waited 4 days for fresh plaster to dry, sanded any rough bits, wiped with damp cloth then dry microfibre cloth until the cloth was clean. Mixed 50/50 water and Dulux white Matt emulsion (the big 10l cheapish tub) and painted it on.

It went on fine, was clearly soaking it up FAST, but I think because it was soaking it up fast I kind of went over most areas twice rather than leaving it so patchy (whoops???) So it's probably thicker than it should be but it was VERY watery.

I've given it 24 hours but I can still scratch it off with my nail if I press on a bit. It doesn't lift around the edges when I scratch it so I'm not OVERLY concerned - but here I am .

I was blaming it on the high humidity yesterday (77%) but now I have no excuse. I'm more concerned as it is the bathroom so the paint is more likely to see peeling etc (we have Dulux bathroom paint to top coat).

Is this mist coat okay or am I going to cry in 3 hours/3 months when the top coat comes off?

Sorry for long post but I've tried to include everything you'll ask me .

Sponsored Links
@JohnD no, Dulux pure brilliant white Matt emulsion for walls and ceilings?

Just tried scratching it in different places and it doesn't come off maybe it was still dusty?!

Sponsored Links
the 50:50 dilution rate is unusually high. If you have sealed it enough that it no longer sucks the moisture off your brush, give it a solid coat now. If it is still absorbent, give it a coat with 10% water first.

(yes, I find a brush better than a roller for mist coats)

I went with 40-50% cus it was so warm too.

I just did a coat of colour diluted by 10% and it was soaking it up off the brush in most places so I think it was definitely needed. I see what you mean about using a brush for mist coat - definitely get more of a feel for it than roller.

First coat looks almost flawless even though it was diluted so second coat should be easy.

I have about a quarter tin of paint that's diluted left over from the first top coat - what should I do with that? Don't want to waste it but not sure if I can mix it back in to the bathroom top coat, or do I just see how much of the bathroom top coat I use then decanter the diluted back into the tin and mix to keep in case I need to touch up? If that makes sense haha

White matt emulsion is always useful for a ceiling.

if it's a plastic tub, it will seal well and you can keep it until you next need to mist. Garage walls that are unplastered are very absorbent and benefit from extra misting coats.

If it's a metal tin, it will not reseal well. Maybe you could mix into the paint, but no more than 10% water total. I think I would not use it for your final coat, it might affect the texture or gloss.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back