bathroom project

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi taken all the bathroom out, was fully tiled so knocked all them off. made a few notches along the way with the chisel so filling them with hard wall but also taken some big areas of the render out which goes back to the brick behind it, which is at max 25mm deep, also taken skim off some parts of the ceiling as well.. my questions are..

do i pva then use hard wall building up instages of 8mm to the 25mm depth, scratch it, then fill in the cracks and notches with the hardwall then finish with two coats of board finish?

also where the render on the wall meet the ceiling do i need to put joining tape where they meet before skimming?

the wall has no cavity and i am tiling most of it afterwards, im just doing it for the practice.

pics included. thanks View media item 44066 View media item 44067 View media item 44064 View media item 44063 View media item 44068

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
You should read the tiling sticky and almost any of Richard C's posts on tiling. Hes written all you need to know at least a million times, do some research and ask some specific questions. Theres alot to consider such as the size type and weight of the tiles, will there be a shower, are you going to be tanking or using cement boards, the list goes on. Good luck, theres alot to read!!

If your tiling it after, would just render it. Dont bother with any Gypsum products. Render it all ( walls ) and tile it. Look on the tiling bit for weights etc, but as long as there not massive granite tiles youll be ok. As for the ceiling, you could bound out the holes, then either skim the lot or easi fll it.

Get some sand and cement and get the wall out to a flat level first and tile on top. That is what i would do.

Floor to ceiling tiles is very dated. Consider tiling the wet areas, skimming and painting the rest - why end up with an 80's Wickes showroom when you can have a vibrant modern one that you can colour change at will?

What else do you call a bathroom that looks like it's fitted today and not in the 80s?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back