Bathroom Pull Cord help please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My son pulled the cord of the ceiling so I have a replacement.

Existing cable is 2 X red / 2 x black (intertwined to make one) / earth.

New switch is L1 / COM/ Earth.

Any idea how this should be configured?

Thanks in advance

Andy

Sponsored Links
How is/was the previous switch wired? Note the old wiring and positions in old switch before transferring to new switch.

If the 2 reds are twisted together, and the 2 blacks are twisted together, theres only one way it can be done.

reds in one terminal (COM or L1), blacks in the other (L1 or COM).

Earth to the earth terminal of course

Crafty said:
If the 2 reds are twisted together, and the 2 blacks are twisted together, theres only one way it can be done.

reds in one terminal (COM or L1), blacks in the other (L1 or COM).

NO If one of the cables is the feed then this will put a short across the lights. Blow the fuse (trip MCB) and the switch will be damaged.

I very much doubt the reds were twisted and in put into the the switch.

More likely the blacks were twisted together ( neutral of the feed cable and neutral onward to the light ) One red is live from the feed and that will go into one terminal of the switch and the other red is switched live onward to the light goes into the other terminal of the switch.

The blacks should be in a terminal block.

Sponsored Links
Good point bernard. The OP wasn't overly clear about what was twisted together though . . .

Thanks guys!

It is the black that is twisted together so

Red into L1

Red in to COM

Earth into Earth ( even i knew this one :)

Blacks terminted and therefore redundant.

Many thanks

Andy

AndyDodds said:
Blacks terminted and therefore redundant.

Andy

Probably NOT redundant, they are almost certainly the neutral for the light and need to be joined to each other for the light to work.

To avoid a repeat put a weak link in the cord about 6 inches below the switch. Then an excessive pull will leave you with 6 inch of pull cord.

Good advice, will do that, sometimes my 4yr old is a little "vigorous".

So weak link in cord or get rid of son, i'll think over the weekend :D

Many Thanks for everyones assistance.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back