Bathroom re-build

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have already mentioned the re-build in else wear in the forum but this is the full plan. We have green bathroom sweet that is looking very dated, an over bath shower that causes water to run down the hall walls. And some one has put a wooden dado rail half way up the walls including in the shower area. :mad:
The reason we have water running down the wall is due to the bath flexing when you stand in it and it then leaves a gap under the edge of the shower screen. Under the bath at the shower end is a hole 2ft x 3ft were the floor boards should be. generally speaking it is a right mess done by the last owners of our house.
I intend to board the floor and tile. We have had a vanity unit for the sink and toilet for nearly a year. It was cheap so we bought it and stored it untill other trades had finished. (Re-wire & Re-Roof).A busy and exspensive year finished by my bit, my mate calls DIY domestic warfare. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
I intend to board the floor and tile.
Don’t use chip (not even the green stuff) or timber boards for the floor, WBP ply only. Thickness 18-25mm but depends on floor joist size/pitch/span. Seal with acrylic primer on back & edges before laying & fix with screws into joists every 150mm.

To avoid making potentially disastrous mistakes regularly made by others, make sure you read the Tiling Forum Sticky & Archive posts before you start & use only quality trade materials suitable for the tiles your laying, not DIY rubbish. Don't use plasterboard for the walls in wet areas. ;)

I would strongly suggest for the walls you use tile backer board for the walls in the bath area and lay WBP ply on the floor then over lay the WBP with tile backer board to give the floor extra stability making sure the backer board joints are not directly over the joints of the WBP and have nogging between upright timbers on the walls and joists on the floor where the boards meet. Fill the bath 1/2 to 3/4 with water before fixing and siliconing in place leave it until the silcone dries this will allow for any movement there may be in the bath legs/frame or the floor.

I would buy a tanking solution for the areas to be tiled around the bath which will leave it completly water tight. Prime all areas with acrylic primer and use quality powder mix flexible adhesives and grout for both the walls and the floor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back