Bathroom Refit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys. Wondered if I could pick your brains a little, please.

We are soon to refit our bathroom. Aside from the window (which we are not altering), we are flexible about where stuff goes.

I cannot draw to save my life, even electronically, so imagine drawing a line across the top of your paper from L-R. That is the external wall, with window. Most of the wall is taken up with window.

That wall is 2540mm long.

Then draw a line T-B on the right hand side at 90 deg to the window wall.

That wall is 2210mm long.

From R-L from the bottom RH corner, at 90 deg to this wall is a wall 1715mm long.

Then the wall returns towards the window wall, again at 90 deg for 560mm.

Then it runs parallel to the window wall R-L for 825mm.

The dimension of the wall running T-B on the LHS is 1680mm.

Hope this makes sense.

OK. Current layout has a bath on the LHS of the room between window wall and bottom corner.

WC is under window in top RH corner.

Basin is next to bath, opposite the window wall.

Door is in bottom RH corner, opposite WC, hinged so that it opens onto the 2210mm wall.

We are trying to fit in a large bath 1800 x 800 and a shower cubicle as well as WC and basin. If the door has to be repositioned, so be it.

What's the best layout do you reckon?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
When planning it, why not visit a bathroom designer, who can knock something up on the computer, so that you can visualise it? Like everyone else does.

Or I believe there is some downloadable software that I had, forget the name, my computer is full of stuff, lost, never used, that is used for this kind of design planning.

Changing the existing layout & where you can fit a shower into the room is largely going to depend on where the soil stack is located & the orientation of the floor joists. There may be some room for manoeuvre but it can start to get expensive if you have to relocate soil stacks or drop underneath the ceiling for waste runs; there are also Building Regs to consider. Before you get too carried away, you should either understand how such things will limit your options, consult someone who can guide you through it or post a sketch. I’m sure you could manage a line diagram showing the relevant dimensions, joist & stack information or download some free software as Micky suggests.

As a seasoned electrical contributor, I’m surprised you posted this in “General”; your likely to get some very strange or even unhelpfull responses :confused: “Building” would have been more suitable perhaps with later questions in plumbing & the other relevant trade forums.

Sponsored Links
I thought there would be more visitors here.

Soil stack needs redoind anyhow, so if it needs moving, no big deal. In any case, I want the best layout. If that means moving the stack or soil pipe, then so be it.

Micky, no need to be sarky. I know I could go to a bathroom designer.

Thanks, I will!

Here's my empty room.

Bathroom.jpg

Have you considered not having a bath at all and just either a large shower area or even making it more of a wetroom? We have a small bathroom and got rid of the bath. We haven't missed the bath at all and we'll be more than happy ro either re-do the whole room or negotiate a price when we come to sell up many years hence. After all, I suspect that most people are similar to us and like to have their own new bathroom installed when they buy a house anyway (and thus remove any, er, "bodily residues" from the previous owners).

Probably will be but what sort of visitor is anyone’s guess; fine if you want a slanging match or argue the toss about not very much at all but I’ll keep a watch out to see what happens. :LOL:

Usefull sketch by the way, told you you could do it ;) Shame you didn't add the direction of the floor joists.

Have you considered not having a bath at all and just either a large shower area or even making it more of a wetroom? We have a small bathroom and got rid of the bath. We haven't missed the bath at all and we'll be more than happy ro either re-do the whole room or negotiate a price when we come to sell up many years hence. After all, I suspect that most people are similar to us and like to have their own new bathroom installed when they buy a house anyway (and thus remove any, er, "bodily residues" from the previous owners).
For the record our previous bathroom did not have a bath but a large shower.
After 5 years the lady of the house decided she wanted her bath back but I and son preferred shower.
Using the bathroom planner we managed to incorporate both despite plumber saying it could not be done.

Probably will be but what sort of visitor is anyone’s guess; fine if you want a slanging match or argue the toss about not very much at all but I’ll keep a watch out to see what happens. :LOL: .
Ironically Richard, you are the only one who seems to want to get involved in some kind of argument - all other posts are subject specific :rolleyes:

Ironically Richard, you are the only one who seems to want to get involved in some kind of argument - all other posts are subject specific :rolleyes:
Nothing argumentative in my posts but good luck with it, I'm sure you'll recieve excellent advice ;)

Sponsored Links
Back