bathroom regs question

Is it BS/EN or CE approved? Seems strange to me that something that is primerally for use in a bathroom would be supplied with a plug?
I'm still not sure that it is non-notifiable under part p either.

Sponsored Links
Its made in China and I think plug sockets are allowed in bathrooms there, either that or they don't pay much mind to UK regs,probably both are true
Hasn't got any stickers saying CE approved, only QC passed

QC is normally "quality control". Just noticed you are in Scotland hence the Part P thing doesn't apply to you anyway. Still, doing the job properly and safely is the most important thing. TBH, if it doesn't have any sort of recognised standard on it then I would be tempted not to install it.

Yeah, I thought that QC would mean that but its from China so it was hard to be sure.

I'm happy to get someone to check the wiring and transformer out for me if it will comply with the regs but not installing it is not an option. Not after parting with my hard earned cash! Last resort I could not install the radio unit and just use the shower but it seems unnecessary and will affect the aesthetic appearance. I'm sure theres a way round it. Surely if the input required to the unit is only 12volts and I buy a new UK transformer to put in the next room the risk is minimal

Sponsored Links
not that a CE mark means much anyway other than possiblly some more liabilty for the importer if things go wrong AND they can be traced........

importer: "what approvals does it have?" chineese manufacturer: "what approvals do you want?"

So, if i buy a new transformer do I buy a PELV or SELV and where do I get one ? Are the SELV transformers on bathroom fans 12v AC or DC?

I have seen a SELV transformer (normally used for a bathroom fan) from tlc-direct (http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/BGT12S.html) which has an output of 12v AC and a power rating of 25VA.

The transformer I have already has a rating of 25 watts (12V ac,1800mA) printed on it. My concern is that if I replace the transformer I have with the SELV from TLC it will be underpowered as watts doesn't necessarily equal VA. I don't know whether the computer/radio unit is purely resistive or has inductive qualities (it powers a light,the radio and a small fan with static rpm's) . I'm hoping the power will be enough as there are at least 2 cables unused on the computer/radio unit, presumably for other functions that my shower doesn't have.
Any thoughts ! Help :(

So I guess using the fan SELV will be ok as the computer/radio/fan on my shower is not likely to be an inductive load. Correct me if I'm wrong

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back