bathroom regs question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have just installed a new non-electric enclosed shower unit which has an in built radio. The radio part is attached to a transformer and on to a plug. My concern is

1. Even though the tranformer comes out of the back of the shower it will still be subjected to a small amount of damp as all things in a bathroom. I know that it was made for purpose but is this safe ?

2. Do I have to notify as I plan on plugging it in through a hole in the wall into the next bedroom (in a cupboard)? Or do I need to get an electrician to come and plug it in for me?

3. Is it worth extending the lead of the transformer so that the transformer can be placed in the next room aswell?

Sponsored Links
What do the instructions say about connection to the supply?
Hopefully it will say something like SELV??
If so then just plug it in to the socket the other side of the wall, I would be happy to come and do it for you but its quite easy. The big long pin on the plug goes into the hole at the top of the socket.

Do NOT mess around with any of the existing connections. They should be fit for purpose and u can sue their ass if someone dies listening to Terry Wogan. If you fiddle with them u are on your own, probably with Sarah Kennedy.

I'm starting to get worried now. No, I can't find anything that mentions SELV ( presumably-Separated Extra Low Voltage) and whats worrying me more is that it says "only to be used in a dry area" on the transformer !!. Should I get an electrician to lengthen the cable so it can be put in the next room ? After readigng that I really don't want any AC in the bathroom. Presumably it would then comply ?

Sponsored Links
Taylortwocities said:
Do NOT mess around with any of the existing connections. They should be fit for purpose and u can sue their ass if someone dies listening to Terry Wogan.
I'm sure you don't mean it, but this comes across as scare-mongering.

Without creating any need to fiddle with the transformer, if the output is 12VDC (or thereabouts) then there's negligable risk arising from placing the transformer outside the room and extending the LV flex to reach the cubicle.

Cheers, I think thats what I'll do. What about the part P though? Do I need to get an electrician to do it for me even though I'm just extending the DC flex?

I would want to make sure the transformer is of the isolating type if the radio will be used in the shower.

job_bodger said:
Cheers, I think thats what I'll do. What about the part P though? Do I need to get an electrician to do it for me even though I'm just extending the DC flex?
I can't think of any reason why you'd need to.

[code:1]3) Where this regulation applies, the person carrying out the work shall, not more than 30 days after the completion of the work -

a) give to the occupier a copy of the certificate referred to in paragraph (2); and

b) give to the local authority -

(i) notice to that effect, or

(ii) the certificate referred to in paragraph (2).

(4) Paragraph (3) of this regulation does not apply where a person carries out the building work described in Schedule 2B which consists only of work on a low voltage or an extra-low voltage electrical installation.[/code:1]

Blimey! Betcha can't do that while keeping your big long pin in the top hole. :evil:

Isn't that paragraph for self cert scheme members saying they don't need to notify non-notifiable work :confused:

:oops: :eek:ops
I am very embarassed to say its actually 12AC not DC. I presume this does not make any difference to notifiiability or safety in extending the lead as its still low voltage? Does this mean its most likely a SELV tranformer?

No it means the transformer delivers 12vAC. It has particular requirements for it to be SELV. It should say it on the transformer.

Is this shower think a UK device? Who's the maker & model number?

I wish it was a UK device !! . Bought it off ebay from some guy called BHP retail for £250, it looks the part and was easy to erect and plumb, similar one in the shops cost £1000+.
I presume you mean the transformer has to have special properties (insulation etc) to protect it from the input and output coming into contact. Output is 12Vac and 1800mA Model EI-BY(25W) made by Hangzhou Xiaoshan Huafeng wei electric :rolleyes:

Maybe I could buy a SELV from this country and use that instead

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back