bathroom shaver socket installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to move an existing bathroom shaver socket into a new wall cabinet. Both the existing socket and the wall cabinet will be above the toilet and outside of zone 2 (no longer called zone 3).
The shaver socket is currently wired direct into the ring main (rcd protected).
To simplify this installation (and any future maintenance) I wish to install a fused dp socket above the cabinet and then cable the shaver through the back of the cabinet and into the dp socket.
Can anyone see any problems with this setup?

Please don't quote Part P. Retired engineer with 4th year C&G including electrical theory (but not in house wiring). I do have a copy of 16th though. No! I don't have 17th!!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
dp, double pole, breaks on both pos and neg
Small bathroom. The only practical position for cabinet is above toilet.
dp socket would be above cabinet, approx 2meters.

the reason for it to be inside of the cabinet is that i want to plug in a toothbrush charger which i prefer to be out of sight (previously it sat on a windowcill)

Reminds me of a bloke I know.

"Part P , ridiculous, I served me time years ago, blah blah blah " then rings me up to ask if he should main bond to plastic pipes! :eek:

I recently refurbed and rewired my daughters kitchen. I usually change consumer units myself. However in this instance I decided to call in a 'professional' i.e someone who was part P registered in order to gain a cert.
He installed the cu without a backboard and managed to crack the back (I found out after he'd left) He also left a lovely birds nest of wiring. Some wires stripped and left with 'butterflies' some with the insulation under the terminal screw and tightened so tight that the screws managed to bite through, some with the stripped wires showing. (I was taught 'insulation up to the screw but not under it') And I strip my wires back with wire strippers NOT side cutters.

Needless to say I had to replace the cu and reterminate the wiring.
My dog knew more about electrical theory than that guy. Prior to a course to gain Part P he was an Estate agent.

So much for the 'professional'

What the hell. I still got the certificate!!

My question was not intended to query the installation safety of which I am satisfied, merely to enquire if it met 17th edition requirements, of which I only have limited knowledge.

Danechip.
I bow to your superiority.
If you would be so kind as to give me a better understanding of Ohms Law, Kirchoffs Law, Faradays Law, Lenz Law, Maxwells corkscrew rule, Flemmings left and right hand rules. The difference between resistance and specific resistivity, insulation resistance per km. Impedance, as a vector quantity, inductance, resistance, capacitance. Hysteresis. Phasors.. etc etc.

As I am only an amateur without Part P (which, being retired, I do not need)

PrenitceboyofDerry
Bahtroom isn't big enough to move it to a distance of 3m. It would be about 2.2m. But it would be a switched fused spur, NOT a socket and firmly outside of zone 2.
I've tried asking some 'sparks' and get differing views re: fused spur. I've also read reg. 701.512.3 (which didn't help!)
I could, at a pinch, put the isolating switch in the loft, but that would defeat the object of being able to switch the shaver xfmr off when not required.

Hmmm not withstanding all the above, I think you'll also need to install a FCU (fused connection unit) before the shaver socket if it's currently supplied from the 'ring main' - by this I presume you mean that the over current protective device is 32A?

SB

Edit - AH, is this what you mean by a DP socket???

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back