Bathroom Sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Everyone,

I'm just about to undertake a major overhaul of our bathroom.

I've toyed for a while about putting a TV in the bathroom. We currently have an airing cupboard which contains the boiler which I will be getting rid of and replacing with one of my own design.

So what I plan to do is have a two part system. Boiler in the top section and a small 19" LCD TV behind glass in the section below so that you could watch the TV or a DVD when taking a long soak in the bath.

Now, ever since I was a small child people have told me that electricity and water go together so well its shocking so its best to keep them as far apart as possible.
So I'm after advice really from anyone who may have fitted sockets in a bathroom. These will be out of the way and I do plan to make the "TV" section "water tight" to prevent the formation of condensation etc.

I would be grateful for any advice as to whether this can be acheived or whether i'm being a bit daft.

Thanks in advance

chris

Sponsored Links
well, you are not permitted to fit sockets in a bathroom other than shaver variety, so you will need to consider the use of a fused connection unit within the cupboard and cutting the plug off the tv. I would suggest a low voltage powered one, one with a seperate transformer basically.

Since 2005, DIY electrics within the bathroom are out, so have a word with a local friendly electrician :)

Only way around is to wall off the cupboard so it doesnt form part of the bathroom as such, and is access by a door from another room... might be possible.

pwire said:
Since 2005, DIY electrics within the bathroom are out, so have a word with a local friendly electrician :)

Complete rubbish - as has been said so many time before. See the wiki for Part P information.

That said, in this case, unless you know exactly what you are doing I would recommend using an electrician.

Keeping the TV "out " of the bathroom is sensible for both safety and to prevent the TV being damaged by the steamy atmosphere in the bath room.

Sponsored Links
Are you replacing the airing cupboard or the boiler with one of your own design? :confused:

Sorry - couldn't resist :oops:

I would go along with pwire.
Could you locate the power unit for the TV elsewhere, so only the 12 volt lead runs into the cupboard?

It sounds like the electrics for the existing boiler setup might leave something to be desired if the cupboard door is inside the bathroom and if anyone using the bathroom can access it whether they are dripping wet or not. However, if the boiler compartment is kept locked, then it may comply.

Thanks for all the replies.

Unfortunatly, putting the sockets in a walled off area can't be done. We live in an old terraced house and the bathroom is at the back. Two walls are external, one is attached the neighbours and the last one will have the shower and door.

Thanks for the suggestions. I need to get an electrician in anyway to do a few bits here and there so I shall get some advice before proceeding.

Thanks again.

Chris

LCD TVs chuck out a lot of heat - you'd probably need to maintain a (dry) airflow through the cupboard to stop it overheating.

NamelessRob said:
LCD TVs chuck out a lot of heat - you'd probably need to maintain a (dry) airflow through the cupboard to stop it overheating.
No they dont. Not nearly as much as plasma screens anyway.

But yes, it needs ventilation.

chrissp26 said:
I would be grateful for any advice as to whether this can be acheived or whether i'm being a bit daft.

YES

It is certainly acheivable, the important thing is to keep the TV in dry air that is isolated from the bathroom and is flowing to keep it cool. If there is no easy way to do this you may have to resort to fans and ducting.

You also aren't allowed to have sockets in the bathroom but a built in cupboard with no access without tools can't really be considered to be in the bathroom IMO and you can always wire the TV in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back