Bathroom tv

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How easy is it to fit a small lcd telly to just above my taps in my bathroom. It 'll have to be water proof somehow and is it ok to fit it in the bathroom afterall?Are there any specific tv's out there for the job?

Sponsored Links
Don't leave home without your American Express card if you heading in this direction!

You'll need a registered sparky to fit it as the works will notifiable.

TTC

Sponsored Links
can't you just get a 12v one for a car.. they didn't have any quibbles about putting a big plasma in the back of a van next to a hot tub on "pimp my ride"... :rolleyes:

personally i think the way to make this work is to put the TV outside the bathroom and then have a window to look at it. make sure the area containing the TV is sealed from the bathroom and ventilated to somewhere else and you should be fine.

I think you should plan your baths around the tv progs.
I remember about 20 odd years ago I took my portable tv in the bathroom to watch the snooker.
That was before all the c**** about what you must not do. :LOL:

ELZ4742 said:
wouldnt they be inverted though?

why would they be?
the electronics in the tv work on low voltage dc most likely.. there are step down transformers in most things..
so why step it up to step it back down..

and being lcd there should be no high voltage capacitors like there are in CRT's..

seriously, have a look at a few episodes of pimp my ride.. they regularly have LCD's in the bumpers, under the back of the car, in the bed of a pickup truck etc...

they usually just put a clear perspex cover to the screen..

you could do the same but put the tv in a partition wall with a perspex front and vent it into the floor / ceiling space using small PC fans..

with LCDs while the panel itself is low enough not to pose a danger the backlights are inverter driven murcury flourescents and i belive the voltages they use are high enough to be dangerous (i don't have an exact figure offhand)

not sure about plasma but since its a fairly crt like technology i imagine nasty voltages are involved somewhere.

write to mythbusters and see if they'll do a re-visit of the "apliances in the bath" myth with newer tv's...

also, try an LED tv.. surely they make those by now?

I think the bathroom TV's also have several other functions not found on 12v TV's for example the screen is heated to prevent condensation and there are special arrangements for waterproofing the speakers/speaker openings.

^^you can clean the window (as recommended above) with an antifog solution (or just wipe shower gell on and buff it off as that stops condensation forming), and add separate waterproof speakers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back