Bathroom spotlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
6ABBCE10-2E6B-47F2-BEB2-F6023F92B275.jpeg
Hi

We suddenly found that the three bulbs on the right hand side of bathroom ceiling weren’t working yesterday. Got up today and same issue. Happy to replace bulbs, but is it more likely to be an issue with the unit in the loft that provides power for the bulbs?

Thanks

(Had the bulbs for years. V occasionally all lights would dim, but then restore later. Never had this issue before!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Thank you again. I’ll go up and check. Assume the output will be shown somewhere? Also, can these be sourced from B&Q, Screwfix etc?

Better to dispose of those halogen affairs and replace with lights that are LED and actually suitable for use in a bathroom.

Thanks. Getting a bit confused now. If I replace with LED bulbs, does that negate need to replace transformer?

Yes. Either 230V GU10 LEDs and separate light fittings, or integrated 230V LEDs.
Either way, no transformers required, total power about 30W total instead of 300W and they will last significantly longer.
Proper sealed ones will also prevent the warm moist air from the bathroom entering the space above the ceiling and causing mould and rot.

Or buy an obsolete replacement transformer, and hope that some retailer somewhere still has a stock of the obsolete energy wasting halogen efforts for the foreseeable future.

I recently looked at a similar issue for a customer. When I got into his loft I found the cables supplying some of the mains powered spot lights had been completely severed, most likely by a squirrel. No transformers in this case. One terminal block was missing, teeth marks were obvious on the remaining severed cables. You may want take an initial visual check in the loft to see what arrangement you have and that it is all intact before any further steps.

Attachments

• 6B4CF49F-BFE4-4CB4-BBAF-99AEA9DB6D51.jpeg
    6B4CF49F-BFE4-4CB4-BBAF-99AEA9DB6D51.jpeg
    320 KB · Views: 90
HI

Thanks for this great advice. It’s really appreciated. Happy to go with LED replacements. Will they fit into existing holes in bathroom ceiling? Also, I’ll have to disconnect existing cables to remove the transformer, then reconnect. Is that straightforward? (Obviously switch power off and have strong torch?)

Wildlife damage-I’ll nip in and check tomorrow, but doubt it.

Thanks again.

Most downlights require a similar size hole in the ceiling. Measure yours and find some new lights which will fit.
The transformer(s) will need to be disconnected and the wiring connected to the new lights.
If replacing the transformer only, the wiring would still need to be disconnected and then connected to the new transformer so there isn't much difference in the amount of work required.

Hi

Just been up in loft. I’d forgotten (lights installed by spark years ago) how little space there is to work in the loft. I’d also fitted those things that look like inverted plant pots over the lights to stop them overheating and allow you to lay insulation over them etc.
It would be a hell of a lot easier if I could do all the connections from below. I’ll obviously turn power off and check how halogens are connected, but is it likely they are connected to separate transformers or a single one, with junction boxes etc?

Thanks again

Could be one, two or even 6 transformers.
Doesn't really matter - old lights and transformers disposed of, you just need to find the 230V supply cable and pass it through the nearest hole in the ceiling.
Connects to the first light, then additional cable from that to each other light in turn.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back