Bathroom taps seized over about 5 years

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The cold taps in our upstairs and downstairs bathrooms have seized up over about 5 years. 5 years ago, they were similarly seized, so we called a plumber and he fixed them in about 10 minutes - I wasn't paying a huge amount of attention, but all he seemed to do was pop the top cap off the tap handle, loosen the screw underneath, and that seemed to do the trick. He didn't even turn off the water from what I can remember.

I've just experimented with the same trick, and loosening the screw means the tap handle will turn again, but not easily (you have to hold onto the spout, otherwise the whole tap body turns), so it hasn't actually fixed the problem. I guess I need to go further this time, shut off the water and actually disassemble the tap fully? Can anybody point to any specific recommended tutorials?

tap.jpg

Sponsored Links
After taking the tap cross head off, followed by the chrome embellisher, the plumber probably slackened off the gland nut beneath, maybe squirting some silicone spray in there as well. It’s a temporary fix.
Ideally the tap body needs to be removed, cleaned and treated with silicone grease.....
But of course it’s water off for this.
Please don’t allow the tap body to turn here, it may interfere with the water connection below.
John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back