Bathroom ventilation

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi all,

The the extractor vent in my bathroom is dripping water and mildew stuff is building up around it? My house and this bathroom is only two years old. The bathroom has no windows, the extractor is the only thing letting the steam out.

4144313375_66d1da5734.jpg

This seems to happen during cold weather and the extractor doesn't appear to be sealed in the attic correctly (see image below). So I figure what is happening is that, some of the extracted steam is being forced into the attic space, is hitting cold air and condensing into water hence the drip.

4145071432_7de5024d8c.jpg

What I want to know:-

1. Are my suspicions correct, is this likely to be the cause of the leak? If I seal the collection with silicon will this solve the problem?
2. Have a look at the photo below, the extractor connects
- to a weird bend?
- a long piece of orange Waven pipe,
- another bend
- a piece of grey Waven pipe,
- to a flexible pipe ... ?

Is this just a complete botch job, I though that it would be one long piece of flexible pipe that would service this extractor?

4144309141_2277b3f556.jpg

Thanks

Ray Kinsella

Sponsored Links
It looks like the extractor fan isn't connected into the vertical pipe correctly....bad!
The flexible pipe, before it goes through the roof, has a dip where condensation can collect...bad!
I'd be doing this one again....
John :)

Thanks for that, can you give me any pointers as to how I should replace it?
Should I go for one long flexible pipe, or is the first bend there for a reason?
How do I seal this, is silicon sealer ok or is there a special tape?

Thanks

Ray Kinsella

That long vertical pipe in the cold attic space will act as a condensing column. It's not surprising that water is dripping back in cold weather. Lagging the pipe would help but I agree with the previous post... Job needs redoing.

Sponsored Links
It looks to me like it was put together out of odd bits found round the site when the house was being built. Botch job? Absolutely!

Is that a party wall? If not I'd take it out through the wall instead of the roof.

when you fit the new duct, wrap it in insulation (I prefer the white non-itch stuff) and bind it in place. This will stop the pipe being cold and causing condensation inside.

Like Darren says fit a cndensation trap vertically just after the fan then duct to outside in 22mm overflow running downhill.

See the weird bend in my first post (the third picture), I wondered why its there.

It there because the flipping monkey who built my house put the flipping hole in the wrong flipping place just below the a timber joist holding up the water tank. When he did this, he couldn't attach a duct going straight up because the joist was in the way. So instead of redoing the whole ceiling to move the hole to right place, he put a sewer pipe bend in to get around the joist, and the then put another couple of pieces of sewer pipe on because ... well why stop now.

I took down the whole thing this evening and took about 2 pints of water out of the black bendy pipe you can see in the photo. The ceiling is saturated at the hole for the extractor from water running down the sewer pipe, and is coming apart ..... WHAT A FLIPPING MESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:eek:

I have a condensation trap ... but that can't all be condensation can it, some of that must be rain water??????? Does that mean my vent in the actual roof is fecked also, and letting in rain water.

Don't forget that something like that will put off purchasers of your house if ever you come to sell too. :(

Post us a pic of the finished job. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back