Bathroom with bad ventilation..how to clean ceiling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In one of our bathrooms, there is very bad ventilation. The fan is really not that strong and when the house was built, they put in windows that do not open. As a result, we get a lot of water stains on the ceiling also mildew. It is very hard to clean. Does anyone have any tips on how we to clean the ceiling and maybe some tips going forward with this. I have tried sprayig it with bleach and scrubbing with a brush, but it is not very effective. It has started to stain part of the ceiling orange.

Sponsored Links
Sounds very bad for your health! Try normal soap/detergent and hot water, you will probably end up having to repaint the ceiling, or maybe even replace if it's drywall. Get the fan sorted out, replace it for a much more powerful model and be sure to use it every time you use the shower/bathtub.

If the window is old and not made from double glazed/toughened glass, then get a fan installed in the window, or a window vent.

Any suggestions on soup/detergent to use?
It's beyond cleaning effectively , clean with sugar soap and redecorate, and sort the fan as suggested, ideally fan should run whenever room is occupied regardless of use.

Sponsored Links
Any suggestions on soup/detergent to use?

I wouldn't recommend the use of soup, maybe this is why your ceiling is turning orange (tomato soup?)

Don't know US brands but any household brand should do. If it's really bad, as I say, replace.

Thanks guys. I forgot to mention it's not the whole ceiling, but just the part right above the shower. It's like the steam from the shower rises and collects on the ceiling above. The shower and bath tub are against the same wall and there is a small wall about half the size of the bathroom that seperates the two. This creates a nice trap for the steam and condensation above the shower.

Ask at a hardware or electrical store if they have a shower fan. A ceiling void mounted, ducted fan. Which is installed above a shower, some come with a light built in. Will probably need installing by an electrician, in fact I'll say it definitely does.

In one of our bathrooms, there is very bad ventilation. The fan is really not that strong and when the house was built, they put in windows that do not open. As a result, we get a lot of water stains on the ceiling also mildew. It is very hard to clean. Does anyone have any tips on how we to clean the ceiling and maybe some tips going forward with this. I have tried sprayig it with bleach and scrubbing with a brush, but it is not very effective. It has started to stain part of the ceiling orange.

Clean with diluted bleach. Wear Marygolds.
marigold.jpg
:LOL:

Leave for 12 hours then rinse well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back