Bathroom Zone 2 IP requirements

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
From what I can gather on line (and not having access to a copy of the 17th ed) any electrical fittings within zone 2 have to be IPX4 as a minimum and IPX5 where water jets are to be used for cleaning. There seems to be an additional coda regarding communal baths or showers in some places.

We're looking to fit IP44 rated downlights into a 2.7m high ceiling (TP24 Rio L1 fittings) but the builder and his sparky are saying that we need IPX5 fittings due to the the requirement for cleaning with jets.

It's a standard domestic bathroom, not a wetroom and large areas aren't tiled so there's no way we'll be firing up a pressure washer in there. Do we really need IPX5 fittings? (And if so, presumably this would apply to the extractor fan which is also in zone 2?)

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Fans and showers are IPX4.

At 2.7m you are outside the zones. I reckon as long as the fittings don't say "UNSUITABLE FOR BATHROOM USE" you'll be OK. Certainly, IPX4 should be fine at that height.

Thinking about this a little more, is there an accepted test/definition for when 'cleaning jets are likely to be used'? As mentioned above, I've seen mentions of comunal baths/showers (e.g. this page: http://www.sensio.co.uk/page2.asp ) but there's no mention of those in the extract of the 17th ed. that I've now managed to track down...

Sponsored Links
Can nyone help on my latter point above? Any input would be gratefully received, even if it's to suggest it's purely down to the interpretation of the individuals concerned.

Thanks

Hello Starnberg.
Just a thought but maybe the customer has asked for the fittings to be IPX5, or the builder has stated that they will be IPX5. :eek: ??
They may be thinking that seeing as the 'Regs' are minimum standards, it's better to err on the safe side, and this will not cause problems when signing the work off.
I am not saying that I believe the lights need to be IPX5, just offering another viewpoint.
Regards

Ed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back