Bathroom zones & boilers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Comments please folks.

Oh if only life was simple! I'm in conflict with the local building control officer.

I've wired a boiler (combi) in a bathroom (wiring to 17th ed by another company last year), its edge is 40cm from the edge of the sink and is to be boxed in. The BCO has said its in zone 2 and its not 60cm from the edge of the sink and that the boiler or sink must be moved!!!!!!! I could have dropped through the floor, I explained very nicley that sinks are not in any zone and asked him to justify what he was demanding. I did'nt want to even start going into zone two and tools to remove covers etc with him. He just said move one or the other and that zone 2 extends from the edge of the sink to 60cm and all equipment should be SELV!!! Oh he was not there to pass my or the plumbers work but to look at a beam in the house!!! Now I've done a few of these and so has the plumbing firm, I'm going to contact niceic to see if they will help. Comments please

Sponsored Links
You are correct -hand wash basins do not create zones around them. If you are sure it is just the basin that he has the issue with then I would ask him or his superiors to justify their request.

I would try to email him the relevant diagram etc fro the wiring regs rather then involve his superior.
This will prevent too much egg on his face and you having a bco with a grudg against you for making him look a dick

Sponsored Links
sorted, hes come back to me and said he was incorrect in fact but correct in terms of good practice!!!!!!!!!! I'm lost with that one but its sorted. Yes it was just the basin, the end of zone one around the bath is 1.8m away and over two meters from the shower.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back