Bathroom zones

2391 2 years ago, 236 parts 1 AND 2 about 1995 ( yes, both years in one.. )

2382 last year..
started ONC straight out of school.. so 1992..

it's not that the LABC or Part-P says you CAN'T do it, they just want to check your work before you switch it on.. same as you would do if I came and tried to wire one of your engines up..

Sponsored Links
All true to a point holmslaw, thats if you are talking about 25kv overheads
or 750v dc third rail, but not in diesel and electric traction and its operating systems.

For example load control, field diversion, diesel engine sytems, air braking systems,vacuum braking systems, 100v dc electric train heating systems blah blah blah.

If most of these get to the point of a serious fault its too late.

A traction alternator costs hundreds of thousands, a traction motor about
£9k overhauled, we dont let the stuff get to the point of destruction.

Sometimes though it does happen, as with everything you can not be on the nose all the time !

I have nothing to do with traction supply, only the reason why its there.
my area is the traction itself.

Locomotives to the layman.

think its a problem of mindsets and unles a person can understand and apply the different philosophies it is difficult to make the crossover between the two.

Nail and head holmslaw, its been good to here the views of both sides so to speak, perhaps i ought to regress some of my thoughts and consider that house wiring is a special field in its own right, and respect the fact that the artisans that do it have put themselves out to learn the trade and get the accreditation for it.

Given time, and effort i may even go for 17th myself ,but i have to ask myself ....do i really need it.......initially the answer is no.

But the will is there to go and do so.

Guys it was not my intention to offend anyone, i only wanted a small question answered which was done admirably by those that replied for which i am thankful, i think i already knew the answer, but thought i would seek advise.

Dont suppose anyone wants to move a consumer for me :LOL: ;)

2391 2 years ago, 236 parts 1 AND 2 about 1995 ( yes, both years in one.. )

All credit my friend !....bit unusual to do two at once, but fair play.

it's not that the LABC or Part-P says you CAN'T do it, they just want to check your work before you switch it on.. same as you would do if I came and tried to wire one of your engines up..

I agree but i would sooner trust your competance and abilities to do so, and i bet it would be a better job than some others i have seen. :D

they let me do parts 1 and 2 in one year because I'd finished my ONC the year before, so I had already covered a lot of the electrical principals..

and it's not that we doubt that you would be able to change the CU.. it's just that you'd need the right reading materials and someone to make sure you're doing it right..
just like I would to be able to wire up a loco...

I don't doubt that I would be able to do it but I'd need training ( pardon the pun ) ..

Sponsored Links
I don't doubt that I would be able to do it but I'd need training ( pardon the pun ) ..

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

C&G 236 electrical installation part 1
C&G 236 electrical installation part 2
C&G 2391 inspection and testing
C&G 2382 17th edition regs

and for good measure, BTEC ONC electronics and electrical engineering..

Same as, Col, 'cept my BTEC is an HNC.......in Food Technology..!!!

(Previous career!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back