Bathroom zones

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Looking for some guidance if you can.

My background is electrical but in transportation.

I am about to embark on an extension project which involves my current kitchen which will eventually be my bathroom.

Now, it currently has both Gas and electric meters and consumer in it which i know need to be moved.

It will not meet the current zone criteria but i was wondering is there any option to still keep both meter and consumer in the same place if it is boxed off so to speak ie create a cupboard within the room around it.

The meter and consumer falls just about on the border between zone 2 and zone 3 up near the ceiling in one corner of the room.

I am thinking that my power supplier will have to move the meter and i am hoping that i should be able to move the consumer under local authority guidlines in section p clause 1:24 to 1:27.

Any views ?

Sponsored Links
Theres absolutley no way you can keep them where they are in a cupboard within the bathroom. however if u could create a cupboard with the door outside the bathrooom then that should be ok.

energy supplier will move meter (at a cost but illegal to do it yourself) then u can do the unit yourself however as this is classified as a major improvement you will need the new installations tested by an approved contractor.

Thanks sparky.......i am happy that i can not move the meter and am already going down the road of getting my local supplier to do it, they quote somewhere between £200 to £500.

A fair price ? or not ?

Seeing as i have to get building regs for an extension which is all part of the project the plan is to use section p clauses 1:24 to 1:27
pay the dosh and get local authority approved contractor to inspect and test which i am allowed to do i believe.

Thanks for the reply about the cupboard, i guessed that would be the answer, but at what stage does a cupboard become a room :D

Guessed i would have to move the lot but just thought maybe any one had any other ideas or views

Sponsored Links
SSE Power distribution, although i bet it will be more in the end.

Oh well time will tell i suppose

See you arnt that far from me flame port...........god waiting room..............Bournemouth :LOL:

Seeing as i have to get building regs for an extension which is all part of the project the plan is to use section p clauses 1:24 to 1:27
pay the dosh and get local authority approved contractor to inspect and test which i am allowed to do i believe.
You are in theory but check your LABC will be happy for you to do it first. Many, (including mine) flatly refuse to get involved, insist YOU get it tested, pay for & supply them with a BS7671 for the electrical work before they will issue a completion certificate. This could leave you trying to find a “friendly Part P” to sign it off & is a bit rich since it breaks the rules &, I believe, involves said “friendly spark” in a risk of having their registration withdrawn!

The meter and consumer falls just about on the border between zone 2 and zone 3 up near the ceiling in one corner of the room.
There is no Zone 3 any more - you need to update your knowledge to the current version of the Wiring Regs...

31VCIsGDpBL._SL500_AA240_.jpg
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0863418449 or http://www.theiet.org/publishing/books/wir-reg/17th-edition.cfm

414I7RjVdwL._SL500_AA240_.jpg
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0863418546

41hj3o997nL._SL500_AA240_.jpg
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0863418627 or http://www.theiet.org/publishing/books/wir-reg/electricians-guide-part-p-2nd-edition.cfm

41OwCK9EwCL._SL500_AA240_.jpg
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0953788555 or http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TLGUIDE.html

You are.

Sadly not all LABCs believe it, and refuse to follow the law and the explicit guidance given to them. If yours is one of them then be warned that you may end up being bullied into paying for your own inspection & testing.

[b]There is no Zone 3 any more - you need to update your knowledge to the current version of the Wiring Regs...
This i will do, but as before my background is transportation dealing with voltages and currents in excess of 1000v and anything up to 5000A

It is only when i need to deal with major house wiring that i need to be aware of the regs to the latest spec, this is why i feel that part p is so unfair, there are many competant people out there that are unjustly restricted.

But hey ho, rules are rules, and i do my utmost to adhere to them, not only for me but those around me and following behind me.

Clause 1:26 says that local authority has to pay the testing not the householder, and i have contacted my local authority who have said all i need to do is notify them in advance , pay the money,which is strange, and get them to inspect it at first fix, second fix and then they use their approved contractor for inspection and test.

The charge is less than i would pay for a subby, and i am a qualified sparky.

I dont need 17th edition every working day, i need an understanding though i will grant anyone that.

If they keep their word then fine, if not, as has been stated before, then i have to find a friendly part p.

Which shouldnt prove that difficult, as i have lots of contacts in other industries, but its too late if local authority say one thing then go back on their word after the event.

No doubt this will cause a riot............so tin hat at the ready :rolleyes:

Oh... thanks for the amazon links ban-all-sheds, i will need that most likely. think the on site guide is appropriate

Clause 1:26 says that local authority has to pay the testing not the householder, and i have contacted my local authority who have said all i need to do is notify them in advance , pay the money,which is strange, and get them to inspect it at first fix, second fix and then they use their approved contractor for inspection and test.
Sounds like a result but I'd get that in writing if you can! But, hey, if your a spark then you shouldn’t have too many problems finding a willing signatory. After I got sidelined by my BI, I managed a route using a contractor who works for a very close friend & builder/developer; although he’s not doing much of it at the moment :cry:

Looks like i will have to make sure i get the facts straight from buildings.....thanks Rich c

This i will do, but as before my background is transportation dealing with voltages and currents in excess of 1000v and anything up to 5000A

blimey :eek: , that's some big batteries on that electric bus...

It is only when i need to deal with major house wiring that i need to be aware of the regs to the latest spec, this is why i feel that part p is so unfair, there are many competant people out there that are unjustly restricted.

which is exactly what part P is intended for...
you DON'T know what the latest rules are for a house... but because you work on the railway lines you think that wiring a house should be a piece of cake..
I once did the tappets on my austin metro, but I wouldn't know where to start with setting up the timing on a 16V 2L Zetec engine unless I read the book first..

...... and then they use their approved contractor for inspection and test.

just make sure that you clarify whether they will try and charge you for them sending the tester round.. they can't...

Skills which are pretty irrelevant to rewiring houses.

P1 Reasonable provision shall be made in the design and installation of electrical installations in order to protect persons operating, maintaining or altering the installations from fire or injury.

What part of that do you consider to be unjustly restrictive?

Count yourself lucky - many LABCs do not behave properly.

Which shouldnt prove that difficult, as i have lots of contacts in other industries, but its too late if local authority say one thing then go back on their word after the event.
Get it in writing, then they can't renege.

Oh... thanks for the amazon links ban-all-sheds, i will need that most likely. think the on site guide is appropriate
The EGTTBR is just as important - because work on fixed electrical cables or fixed electrical equipment located on the consumer’s side of the electricity supply meter which operate at low or extra-low voltage etc is a controlled service, it isn't just Part P you need to comply with, it's all of the Building Regulations...

I don't see why not, however if they don't then they will probably be able to get it in for you.
The Electricians Guide to the Building Regs is available directly from the IET, amazon etc, just make sure you get the up to date one.

All valid points guys, look its not my wish to upset everyone here, hey i have only been on the forum 5 minutes so to speak,and i could respond to some of the comments made, i will if you wish , but what does it achieve.......lots of ill feeling perhaps.

Many of those points are very valid, and part p no doubt is there to protect.

I disagree with some, especially the one about "skills being irrelevant"

Electrical skills and understanding are pretty much the same across the whole spectrum its the application thats different.

What i am saying is that there are many electrically skilled competant people out there that i feel are unjustly restricted by part p.

This is not going to spiral down to a slanging match, i wont let it.

As long as part p allows me some way to get the work done i need to do i will use the system as its written, i will do it according to whatever my local authority says i can and cannot do, and have it approved by them and i will use my skills to that end.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back