Bathroom zones

I disagree with some, especially the one about "skills being irrelevant"

Electrical skills and understanding are pretty much the same across the whole spectrum its the application thats different.
So does it work the other way?

If someone whose experience was domestic wiring claimed that he could therefore do your job would you agree?

I'm not trying to start an argument - I have no axe to grind either way, just wondered how you would view such a claim of competence...

Sponsored Links
What i am saying is that there are many electrically skilled competant people out there that i feel are unjustly restricted by part p.
They shouldn't really feel too restricted as there is an easy way around this - join a self certification scheme. That's what domestic sparks have to do. ;)

I think maybe the restriction in the odd 'cash in hand job' for non registered sparks might have more to do with it. :LOL:

Why?

Surely a criminal who is prepared to engage in tax evasion wouldn't be dissuaded from his unlawful activity by one more regulation, would he?

So does it work the other way?

If someone whose experience was domestic wiring claimed that he could therefore do your job would you agree?

I'm not trying to start an argument - I have no axe to grind either way, just wondered how you would view such a claim of competence...

Yes, of course and it happens, we have all sorts in our field,
I work alongside an avionics technician ( ex vulcan bombers) also people from the motor trade, commercials, ex army guys ( tanks) and ex navy guys as well as our own born and bred guys so to speak

We dont close up shop which seems all to common with contracting.

What we do is educate them in the various traits that is part of our daily work, and accept the skill for what it is.

We just make sure they have the knowledge to do the job, it takes time granted , and no we dont just let them loose, but nuture the skill along the right lines ( hey nice pun ! )

The transport industry has its own rules and regs to abide by, but just because you wire houses makes you no more or less skilled than me.

A spark is a spark, if you get my drift, the principles are the same, its the application thats different in my view.

No doubt you did the same City and guilds i did, albeit just a different part
but i bet we all did the same basic electric foundation somewhere along the line ( thats two.... on a roll today !)
[/quote]

Sponsored Links
Incidentally and purely out of interest, any one who is City and guilds here
what parts did you have to do and get to where you are

A spark is a spark, if you get my drift, the principles are the same, its the application thats different in my view.

I understand that you work with electricity, but working to rail network rules does not make you a domestic electrician as you have to have a full understanding of the applicable building regs, it also looks like you have only a basic understanding of BS7671:2008.

I think that you are looking at this from too personal a point of view so...

Would you let a linesman or cable jointer rewire your house???

NO,,, I didn't think you would!!

See your point but i spend my days with diesel and electric traction my friend, slightly different league than a linesman or jointer perhaps, but i stand by my words the basics are the same no matter what.

it also looks like you have only a basic understanding of BS7671:2008.

Correct... but with the correct and up to date information anythings possible given time and effort

C&G 236 electrical installation part 1
C&G 236 electrical installation part 2
C&G 2391 inspection and testing
C&G 2382 17th edition regs

and for good measure, BTEC ONC electronics and electrical engineering..

See your point but i spend my days with diesel and electric traction my friend, slightly different league than a linesman or jointer perhaps, but i stand by my words the basics are the same no matter what.

it also looks like you have only a basic understanding of BS7671:2008.

Correct... but with the correct and up to date information anythings possible given time and effort
I'm glad you finally recognise that your skills, knowledge and experience are in a different league from a linesman or jointer.

Here are your 2 next steps:

1) Recognise that your skills, knowledge and experience are in a different league from an electrician with skills knowledge and experience of house wiring.

2) Recognise that the skills, knowledge and experience of an electrician with skills knowledge and experience of house wiring are in a different league to yours.

... but with the correct and up to date information anythings possible given time and effort
Might be worth getting a copy of the BS7671 & OSG to have a look at. Should help with this project.

I agree it's not the same but I certainly hope a domestic spark wouldn't try to rewire the rail network with advice from a forum. :LOL:

agree it's not the same but I certainly hope a domestic spark wouldn't try to rewire the rail network with advice from a forum.

Domestic would probably do a better job than some of the clowns doing it already :D

300-400 is more likely price for supplier to move meter, even more maybe for gas aswell.

Yep, i am expecting more than quoted, done the paperwork and stuff today, in the post tomorrow.............shock next saturday i expect.

Might be worth getting a copy of the BS7671 & OSG to have a look at. Should help with this project.

Thanks bongo

C&G 236 electrical installation part 1
C&G 236 electrical installation part 2
C&G 2391 inspection and testing
C&G 2382 17th edition regs

Col jack did you 2391 at the same time as the first two or later

As for me C&G 232 parts 1 to 3
EITB certificate electrical engineering
MODULES G2 an G3 electrical fitting and rotational equipment rebuild.

Ban all sheds, i have read your last reply and its a fair comment.

We both are a breed alike, but not the same, i agree that domestic installation is different kettle of fish completely and done incorrectly is lethal.

I know my limitations,and i adhere to the rules, if local authority says i cant, then i will be first in the queue to get some one who can.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back