Bathroom zones.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know why virtually all zone diagrams on the web are wrong and show a zone round the washbasin? Even well known suppliers seem to get it wrong.

Sponsored Links
I am finding plenty of online sources stating it is 'best practice', or 'advisable' for the area around a basin to be treated as zone 2, and then include that in the diagrams as de facto.

Interesting point here:
https://www.voltimum.co.uk/articles/q-day-zone-2-above-hand-wash-basin

I believe the argument from the NICEIC is, that a wash hand basin doesn't have to be considered as a special location.
However, regs 512.2.1 & 2, suggest electrical items should be appropriate for their location.
This (theoretically) draws a radius around the basin where any items within, should probably be rated at IPX4, or better.
In effect, the area is a zone 2, even if it is not named as such! :)

...but that's only my interpretation! ;)

Last edited:
I seem to remember 14th Edition and it stated distance for a socket from a sink, seem to remember the length of kettle lead was designed to be less than distance from socket to sink so you could not leave it plugged in while filling.

This was the time when metal window frames were earthed, the RCD has resulted in many items which would have been thought of as potentially dangerous today not presenting the same danger. "701.415.2 Supplementary equipotential bonding" reflects the changes due to RCD protection.

But we have to consider anywhere we have a sink would have to have same rules, including upload_2022-3-21_6-19-28.png ones not plumbed in. One is just as likely to be naked in the bedroom as bathroom.

It is also how people treat equipment, my kettle can be lifted off the base and put under the tap upload_2022-3-21_6-24-19.png it even has a handle to do just that, but it is never lifted off the base, always filled with a jug, we have two on a tray in case we spill water and they are only moved when cleaning kitchen.

The bathroom has a new piece of equipment, not that I use it, I have no teeth, upload_2022-3-21_6-31-16.png the units use more than a shaver socket can provide, and are clearly bathroom equipment, in the main in UK we use rechargeable versions to get around lack of supply in a bathroom, the water flosser is mains powered out of the UK, so maybe our rules will have to change?

One is just as likely to be naked in the bedroom as bathroom.
True, but unless you have a shower cubicle in the bedroom, you are more likely to have a much lower body resistance in a bathroom, being naked and soaking wet.

Someone I spoke to at the IEE suggested that the lighting manufacturers clubbed together and decided to promote the faux sink zone as a way to sell more expensive light fittings.

Sponsored Links
The Zone 2s around the shower cubicles are not correct either so shall we just put it all down to the diagrams being drawn by people who do not know what they are doing?

The Zone 2s around the shower cubicles are not correct either so shall we just put it all down to the diagrams being drawn by people who do not know what they are doing?
Yes. Or they have just copied the version that they have always used, but removed zone 3.
The correct diagram is here.
https://electrical.theiet.org/media/1450/section-701.pdf

Surprised that the OP hasn’t mentioned that manufacturers instructions are usually wrong. But I expect that he/she will before too long.

Most likely it originated with the attached document, which was information provided to ILA members (who are mostly lighting manufacturers) regarding bathrooms, and contains the 'LIA IPX4 Area' which was subsequently copied by others, assumed to be part of BS7671 and misappropriated into the mess of diagrams available today.

Attachments

• liais-07-locations-containing-a-bath-or-shower-pdf-1376904504.pdf
    153.5 KB · Views: 94
From the link:

"The abbreviation ‘IP’ stands for ‘Ingress Protection’ but is more commonly known as "Ingress Protection"."

I've often wondered about that but been too afraid to ask. I'm glad it has now been made clear.

From the link:

"The abbreviation ‘IP’ stands for ‘Ingress Protection’ but is more commonly known as "Ingress Protection"."

I've often wondered about that but been too afraid to ask. I'm glad it has now been made clear.
The difference between ' and " changes everything, don't you know...;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back