Batten Holder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What difference if any is there between batten holders and those described as loop-in? Thanks Marcus.

Sponsored Links
Battenholders are battenholders, but some have a modern 'loop-in' system consisting of terminals with many holes to accommodate loop in wiring, whilst the older and cheaper ones don't always have this - infact they don't even come with any form of backplate.

Battenholders without the loop-in facility do have a spare terminal, which can be used for the earths or the permanent lives, but they are fiddly to fit. A back plate pattress is available separately, and these often have a terminal design for earths, not lives.

All in all, the modern loop-in battenholder is by far more superior.

Thank you, I am extremely grateful for your comprehensive reply. The local trade counter was unable to provide an answer when asked! I would like to mount on to a conduit box however I do need to find something with holes that align?

Sponsored Links
A batten holder fits neater on a conduit box, but screw heads are visible, any extra wires can be terminated inside the conduit box using connecters, a loop in one hangs over the sides as its bigger
shopping
upload_2019-9-22_22-31-2.jpeg

Loop in batten...............Plain batten

A batten holder fits neater on a conduit box, but screw heads are visible, any extra wires can be terminated inside the conduit box using connecters, a loop in one hangs over the sides as its bigger
shopping
View attachment 171811
Loop in batten...............Plain batten
Now that's interesting so the batten holder would screw into the box? Would it, therefore, be easier to use the loop-in type to connect holders together?

View attachment 171819 This one is listed as loop-in at screwfix?
It is technically also a loop in.
As someone mentioned earlier there is an extra one terminal to use as loop in, but its fiddly when you try to put 2 browns into it.

Whereas the bigger one has a base similar to a ceiling rose so more room and easier to use as a Loop in.

Both types will have holes in it spaced to fit your besa box

I would appreciate some further advice please. Is it permissable to wire a two way switching circuit to a single junction box and then take 3 feeds to 3 light fittings ( batten holders) ?

It depends which part of the circuit in in the junction box.

If you have switched live, neutral and earth, then yes.

N.B. Neutral does not mean Blue or Black.

So here is the proposal well in my head anyway! Supply from consumer unit to junction box and two switches also connected to same junction box. The intention would then be to take 3 feeds from the box junction to 3 light fittings?

Yes, then it would be possible to do what you say. It would be lots of wires in the junction box - I make it 18 wires into 5 connectors.

Would it not be possible to run the supply to one of the switches, then to the other switch and one of the lights and - and then from that light to the other two?

So 20A 4 terminal boxes are useful.

Its usually best to wire 3C + e between the switches and then run normal cable back up to the ceiling junction from one switch

Yes, then it would be possible to do what you say. It would be lots of wires in the junction box - I make it 18 wires into 5 connectors.

Would it not be possible to run the supply to one of the switches, then to the other switch and one of the lights and - and then from that light to the other two?
Could I not connect the lights together (daisy chain) before the the junction box? I have a 6 metre conduit 1 light at each end with 1 in the middle. The supply and 1 switch enters from the right and the other switch enters from the left currently meeting at a 4 way conduit box. Its evident I will have to introduce a 17th edition box or similar?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back