Battening Leaning Walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All - I am currently converting my garage, the insulation spec I have is for 25mm x 47 mm battens with 62.5mm Kingspan K118 Insulated Plasterboard attached to the battens.

The issue is that one of my garage walls has a slight outwards lean, i'd say maybe 5-6 cm from bottom to top, wall height is 2.2m. I'd prefer to correct this but am not 100% sure of the best approach. Concerned that using packers behind the battons where i screw it in would mean the batten may flex between fixing points meaning when the board goes on top I may get issues. Have considered using firrings but of course the slope is not constant from top to bottom which could well make that tricky.

I am doing this with building regs so am looking for the correct way to approach this that would keep Mr Inspector hapyp.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Taper cut on battens, then shim with U shaped frame / wedge packers.

You could silicone or foam up gaps to make more solid

Use a 75mm x 50mm batten (on edge) at the top, and a length of 100mm x 25mm at the bottom. Then fill in between with your 25mm x 50mm battens, fixing them top and bottom to the top and bottom rails. Then pack and fix intermediately.

We use the taller 100mm x 25mm rail at the bottom because it makes fixing easier. We would use this type of batten at the top too, if the walls were straight.

It may be better to fix the top rail to the ceiling joist/s for better fixing strength. You may need to allow for this in your ceiling joist arrangement (noggins), prior to plaster-boarding the ceiling, depending how the joists run.

Also, look at fixing another intermediate 25mm thick horizontal counter-batten rail somewhere higher up on the wall, as the run-out thickness gets wider. This could save you a lot of unnecessary packing. You would need to look at doing this prior to fixing any upright battens.

As Woods says, 50mm lean is quite a tilt!

P.S. Mr Inspector won't be interested in your batten fixing methods.

Sponsored Links
Could you add a brick pier or buttress using a wall starter kit then adjust the mortar to deal with the lean. It still seems like a bodge fix though. I would look to correct that wall even if it seems a daunting process just divide it up into manageable chunks.

many thanks all for the replies, i have used a combination of approaches and it has gone very well. The Building Inspector has said the lean is likely due to the 100 yr old roof not having sufficient collar ties and over time they start to sag. I will be adding additional 6x2 collars across the whole roof span to prevent this worsening especially given the addtional weight of timber and insulation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back