battery drill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys gals, need to purchase a new battery drill for eletricians work (as thats what i am) dont wont to buy something that someone who looks through van windows thinks i'm having that and breaks in but want somrthing that will do the trick and not cost the earth. so any experience of a hard wearing multi functional (hammer action preferred) reliable drill.

Sponsored Links
Hi Fireman,

I use Ryobi cordless kit because I couldn't afford any of the higer end stuff such as makita, Dewalt or Hitachi.

It doesn't feel as well built as the higer end stuff but orks an absolute treat and is certainly much better than the cheaper stuff targeted at DIY.

It also has the benefit that all their ONE+ kit uses the same battery so you can add bare tools to your existig collection without having to buy additional batteries. I got a kit of seven power tools with a charger and three batteries but bought this to supplement the two speed drill supplied with the kit.

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=100372&ts=36109&id=98438

Te above is supplied bare so you'd need to invest in a charger and batteries too - £50 for two batteries and a charger. Battery life isn't great but if you've two or three batteries it isn't really an issue.

On the note of something that doesn't stand out - it doesn't matter if it's a cheap £10 drill or a £100,000 piece of plant equipment, if someone looks into a van and sees it then they'll take it. You know what scrotes are like these days (I had my car broken into for the 50p and six cigarettes left in view!) so it's just not worth the risk. You'd be better off keeping all your valuable kit in a separate bag / box and removing it from your van whenever it's left unattended. I assume you have some pricey test kit such as a megger and the like. Even if these are hidden, someone with a little knowlege may break in on the offchance it's in the van - not the sort of thing you want to have to replace. Take it out with you.

Regards

Fred

Screwfix have a special offer on at the minute, a Ryobi one+ two speed drill, an angle drill, two batteries, charger and tool bag for £99 (normal price £149) thinking of buying one myself, and as Fred says other tools in the range as well

Sponsored Links
I would select tools based on what I need them to do, functionality/performance and ergonomics - not the chance of them getting nicked.

If you like, take your shiney new Dewalt/Makita/Bosch etc and scuff the casing, rub it will grimy hands and add a bit of paint, and then you have an instant 'old' drill not worth much.

Screwfix had a good deal on Makita's if it is still on

I have a lot of Ryobi stuff, and the 18v drill is probably the worst of the lot. It's OK, but performs nowhere near as good as my 12v Dewalt in terms of hammer action, handling and comfort in use

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back