Battery Powered Chain saw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I’m looking for a chain saw and have been drawn towards the battery rechargeable ones but I’m not sure if these are good enough yet? I’m looking for. 30cm Lance and it’s to maintain some woodland we have bought so I’ll only be using once a week for a few hours Max chopping up fallen trees etc.

can anyone recommend anything or am I mental and should go for a petrol one??

thanks

Sponsored Links
The professional ones such as the Makita 2 x 18 volt models certainly seem to be, but they are in the same sort of price range as the petrol equivalents.

Thanks for that.

The petrol ones look cheaper than some battery ones I just want to make sure I’m not losing performance with a battery one?

You say cutting up fallen trees. What size are the trees. Personally I wouldn't entertain the idea of a battery chainsaw, but as I've never used one, I could be being undeservably biased.

Sponsored Links
They get astonishingly good reviews, but I’ve never used one.....I guess they should be fine for small diameter stuff but today I’ve cut through a 2’ dia trunk with my Husqvarna. I can’t see any battery tool coming close to that one.
John :)

One guy I know (OK, from the pub) is a landscape gardener. A few years back he had all petrol powered stuff and swore blind he'd never have cordless. Then he bought a cordless trimmer, then a brush cutter, and so on. He's the guy who now says that he still wouldn't do without a petrol chain saw, but who equally admits to using a cordless Mak at least half the time nowadays. Says he got the idea (for the cordless chain saw) off a YouTuber called "The Essential Craftsman"

Last edited by a moderator:
The battery powered husqvarna saws are equivalent to 35/40cc petrol, so they're great (better than petrol) on stuff up to say 10", beyond that I would get out a bigger saw, which would be a 2 stroke petrol.

Can't deny some battery saws have the oomph of small petrol saws, it just they dont have it for long enough unless one has a few batteries.
My Sons a tree surgeon ,and uses a stihl Msa161T on anything up to 10" but the saw and enough batteries for a full days work are around a grand.
Btw, its an awesome saw made better by way if its narrow kerf 1/4" chain, something the Makitas benefit from as there is a conversion available.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back