BAXI 105E Boiler Noisy Pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.....
I hope someone can pinpoint the problem here.
My Baxi 105e boiler has statred to make a whining noise when the heating is on and the pump is working.
I followed the advise of bleeding the pump (large screw on the front of the pump), I didn't hear and air come out but a small amount of water did. It took some time to stop the leek by screwing the screw both ways, but eventually it stopped.
The pump was very quiet for about 4 hours but then started again with the whining noise.
Does the pump need replacing or could there still be air in the system?

Thank you for taking the time to read through.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Has this just started by itself, or have you had any work carried out recently?

Hi Chris -
I did fit a Diverter Valve Repair Kit 248061 248062 and 3 way divereter bush nut back in January without any issue.
But no other work has been done.
The noise started a couple of weeks ago.
Thank you
Andy

It is a tricky one, there could be air still trapped, but could also be the pump. Have you had to top the pressure up at all recently?

Sponsored Links
Hi Chris -
Yes, I've had to top the pressure of a bit over the past few weeks. From 1 to 1.5

In that case then, I’d rule out air first, as you’re adding oxygenated water every time you top up, plus the reason for topping up in the first place.

The the auto vent on the pump, is it open to self purge the boiler?

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Apologies for the delay in getting back.
I've never touched the auto vent on the pump so I can't really say.
Where about on the pump is it?
Thanks
Andy

You may want to check the vent then. A knackered pump would result in boiler not working correctly

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
What's actually whining?
The pump, the boiler, the pipework or something else?

Can you pinpoint it exactly to help the pros on here give more accurate advise?

You can take a video i think. Would help. :)

Hi BlueLoo
It's difficult to tell when the noise is actually coming from.
When I'm next to the boiler I can hear what sounds like a fairly high pitched whooshing sound.
It's loudest the furthest point away from the boiler, so the back bedroom.
It seems to get worse the higher the temperature of the central heating but it goes off if the hot tap is run.
Then comes back.
I've bled all radiators.
I'll try making a video this evening when the heating is on and post back tomorrow.
Thanks Guys
Andy

The auto sir vent in boilers should always be left very slightly loose so that they can operate an intended and remove trapped gas from the pump and system.

Certainly looks like it’s been leaking. Do you know the part number?
Many thanks
Andy
CC18B108-A408-4850-9006-12F59AA71DBA.jpeg

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back