Baxi 105e Two problems – any ideas please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Problem 1 – the Schrader valve on the expansion tank leaks so the system depressurises. I tried to re-tighten/replace the valve core but it wouldn’t move. I’ve put a temporary fix in by attching an extension motorcycle Schrader valve onto the original (similar to http://www.weldtite.co.uk/detail.asp?ProductID=166&navID=4) but wonder if anyone can suggest a better fix that doesn’t mean taking the boiler apart (as I’m not Corgi reg). Thanks to all who posted on re-pressurising combis as that helped loads in diagnosing the problem.

Problem 2 – Sometimes there’s no hot water (or sometimes it’s hot and then goes cold) tho the central heating appears to be fine. When this problem occurs the ‘fault on fan or flue’ light flashes. Sometimes leaving it alone cures the problem, sometimes switching the boiler off and on cures the problem and other times the thing works fine all day! The fan appears to be ok (ie spins on direct connection to the mains). The flue isn’t blocked. Any ideas?

Thanks in anticipation,
Mike

Sponsored Links
You dont have to be CORGI registered to work on the expension vessel.

Halfords sometimes have some tools for removing the valve cores. Tyre shops often have much better professional tools, perhaps snap-on ?

The other problem is probably flue flow monitoring failure but i cannot give you advice unless you are CORGI registered because its a gas safety device.

Tony Glazier

Reference to corgi reg was because I think the boiler will need to come off the wall to get at the expansion vessel - it's pretty tight working on it in situ. I'll check snapon for better quality valve extraction tools.
We actually have two of these boilers. One has given no trouble ever, the second very problematic.
Thanks again, Mike

The problem with your hot water performance sounds like a common installation problem with this appliance in that the narrow water ways in the dhw heat exchanger get blocked ,either with scale (in hard water areas) or sludge from the heating system. This can be cleaned but i would recommend it be exchanged. Heateam (Baxi) do an inclusive of parts call out charge so you can get the expansion vessel exchanged as well without needing to remortgage.

Sponsored Links
I've looked up HEATEAM on the web and will give them a call.
Thanks
Mike

Does the fixed price repairs cover ALL the different problems if there are more than one?

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back