Baxi 552 - hubble bubble, only when I turn off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've got Baxi 552 backboiler. If I leave it on for say 2 hours or more, when I turn it off I get a lot of whooshing and bubbling running through the pipes. If I go in the airing cupboard then there's a cold pipe that goes to a t-joint, this pipe goes from ice cold to flipping hot, so I guess hot water is going up into the loft tank (I haven't been able to get up quickly enough to look). Previously it's done this and water came out of the overflow pipe...doesn't do that now though.

No banging though, just whooshing and bubbling.

The thermostat is on 3, if I turn it down to 2 then it stops doing this but then the radiators don't get hot enough.

Any ideas?

cheers

Sponsored Links
You need to inspect the F&E tank and get someone else to turn it off boiler while you watch it.

Tony

You need to inspect the F&E tank and get someone else to turn it off boiler while you watch it.

Tony
Thanks, what am I looking for? If water is coming out into that tank...what does it mean?

You need to look at the FAQs and see how an F&E tank should be configured and see what yours is like.

Then watch as the boiler turns off.

Also check what setting the pump is on. Normally "2" on a Grundfoss.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Why would it only do it at certain thermostat temperature settings? Wouldn't layout issues do it all of the time?

Different water temperatures, build up of air in parts of the system.

Many possible reasons.

But that's irrelevant as you need to find the cause and rectify it.

Tony

Take a sample of system water from a rad bleed point and see what colour it is.

Your fault may be causing more soon.

Tony

You need to stp the thing pumping over or all your system will be ruined by corrosion. Or as Lemmy would have said, Killed by Death.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back