BAXI 80 eco Combi Boiler - keeps cutting out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Guys.
I've got a Baxi 80 ECO which was fitted in December last year. My old boiler broke down 3 days before xmas so I had this Baxi fitted by a plumber at very short notice, it was second hand so had no warranty.
This problem is when I put hot water on or use shower it fires up, everything seems to run and lights OK. Then it cuts out after 5-10 seconds and fires back up and starts the cycle again. (The water gets warmish then go's cold). I've downloaded the manual and gone through the fault guide, the valves are operating, all connections are tight, the safety therm has not tripped, i've taken out the temp sensor and cleaned it (its reading k ohms on meter when disconnected - not sure what reading I should get in or out), I've cleaned the electrodes. (one does seem to be pointing differently to the other, but I don't what the gap should be??) I had a problem with boiler a few months ago and had a new diaphram fitted so i'm presuming (& hoping!) its not this. The CH is working OK.
I'm not a plumber or service engineer but i'm no numpty either, I will change water/electrical parts but won't touch the gas side of it!

Any help would be much appreciated........i'm fed up with boilers now!
Thanks, Frankie.

Sponsored Links
Sorry but you have had an illegal boiler installation.

With that in mind i am not going to offer any advice.

Others on here may take pity but my guess is you would be willing to break more gas regs if it suited so in the words of the Dragon's ' I'm out'

Sponsored Links
plate heat exchanger sounds like a good shout ;) thats what i would check, its also possible the thermostat has failed.

Thanks guys.

I've had meter on thermostat and at the moment its untripped and reading 0 ohms. I've looked on Google for some specific readings and i'm understanding this should be meg ohms unless tripped then it should be 0 ohms......is this correct?

Thanks.

try reading install and servicng guide. can help no more than to say the answer is in there and your first post

actually ignore that. have just read your full post :oops:

having regained my self control after some childishness on my part here goes:

Unless you are exempt from having a condensing boiler fitted your installer has fitted something that should not be on your wall, this will explain more

www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_PTL_CONDBOILER.pdf

on the subject of your boiler your plate to plate heat exchanger sounds like it might be blocked, you need to take it out and clean it, this will in the short term give you hot water, you might like to consider a power flush and get your system clean. :D :D

Right......first of all i'm not a plumber so i've no experience in boilers at all, secondly I'm not a tighta**e, and thirdly if you are left 3 days before christmas with 2 young kids and a freezing house and you call what I think is a legitimate plumber (which by the gas safe sticker on his van i'd say he was), and he says he's got a secondhand boiler which is working perfectly and he'll fit it now and then, he doesn't mention its illegal at the time, but 3 days before christmas he's going to make an easy £300, would ALL plumbers say anything???
I came on this site to ask for advice just as the weather is getting cold its on its way out again.....but this time i've got a knackered boiler and its illegal, brilliant.
Yes fair enough I know whats wrong now, but that still leaves me and my family with no heating and no hot water (yes I am digging into my pocket and calling a plumber now). Does bureaucracy really come between this and some honest advice????
Thanks to those that did give me some advice as I was honest from the start. (I'm expecting some backlash now, but to be honest (again) it couldn't get any worse).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back