Baxi 80 Eco problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.

I've got a problem with my Baxi 80 Eco combination boiler. Occasionally it "trips out".

Information which may be useful:

1) The boiler is 2 years old.

2) The problem only appears to happen when the central heating is on & demanding heat, AND when this is then interrupted by the end of a timer program or if I switch the heating off using the timer controls.

3) It does NOT trip when the room stat no longer calls for heat.

4) No problems when DHW is used.

A chap from Heat Team visited when this first happened, a few months after the boiler was installed. He simply reset the boiler and increased the system cold pressure from 1bar to 1.5bar. His experience said this normally cured the problem. However, this has continued to happen in the winter months when the heating is on, and has occurred 4 times in the last month.

Anything else you need to know just ask. Many thanks,

Dan

Sponsored Links
Thank you for describing the fault so clearly.

I have been to a few of these recently and have become less impressed by their reliability.

I expect the problem is due to a faulty PCB. They seem to regularly fail to correctly respond to a demand for CH.

However before rushing in to change the PCB I would check the positioning of the flame sensing electrode and the minimum and maximum gas pressures on the gas valve and the CH setting on the PCB. This should only be done by a CORGI engineer though.

Tony Glazier

I have thought of a further thing today which may help with a diagnosis (or maybe a seperate problem altogether!):

When a central heating demand occurs, it often takes several attempts for the boiler to fire successfully. With DHW the boiler lights first time, every time.

Thanks,

Dan

That further points to a gas pressure problem!

If they are not set correctly it can fail to light or only light occasionally!

ChrisR is not far from you although I am not sure how familiar he is with your boiler.

I am going to yet another failed one tomorrow morning!

After that a 205 kW unit in a Church ! Its a forced air gas burner similar in design to commercial oil burners operating into a cast iron warm air unit which was built in 1905 and originally coke powered.

Tony Glazier

Sponsored Links
i think you are being very harsh Tony as this clearly points too an incorrectly set low gas setting on the gas valve and not a major issue with the pcb as you have described :confused:

2) The problem only appears to happen when the central heating is on & demanding heat, AND when this is then interrupted by the end of a timer program or if I switch the heating off using the timer controls.

Is this saying, which I think it is, that the boiler trips out as it is switched off? If so, it ain't a gas pressure issue, I venture.
Trouble is if it only does it once a week it'll be hard to be sure of a fix.

I am going to another tomorrow and that sounds like a very similar issue.

As you say and as I originally suggested, it sounds like a PCB problem. In addition there is probably a gas pressure setting issue as well.

My recent experiences of these models is that the PCBs have a propensity to fail to respond correctly to demands for CH.

In addition there is a likelyhood that the gas pressure settings are incorrect presumably due to a failure to properly commission the boiler after its been "banged on the wall".

Furthermore, the flame detection electrode may not be correctly positioned AND there is a wide variation in the sensitivities of the flame detection circuits on the PCB.

Always learing!

Tony

In response to ChrisR's comment/question:

The tripping occurs when the boiler switches off at the end of timer program period (or if I switch it off manually at the boiler). By "switches off" I mean that the central heating was actually running at the time the timer program ends.

I have never noticed this tripping occur when the roomstat stops calling for heat.

Thanks for answers, much appreciated.

Dan

Thanks for your answers- has anyone else got any thoughts?

I live in Sutton, Surrey- can anyone recommened a plumber who might be able to help, or is my best option to call Heat Team?

Many thanks,

Dan

Option one,call Heat-team for a guaranteed repair including parts for £180.Option two,call British Gas,same as above,for £130.It would be of interest to others who view this public forum,to post a reply regarding the outcome.

gstens baxi wrote:

The british gas option is only £130.00 if you get both your gas & electricity from b.g.

Its £132 if you have NO relationship with BG
Its £120 if you are a customer.

just checked www.house.co.uk/oncall

that sounds very cheap to me

scatmanjohn said:
that sounds very cheap to me
Sound too good to be true? There's obviously a catch then.

In the case of BG, the catch is that whether or not you get a competent and thorough engineer allocated to your job is a decision that rests in the lap of the Gods. Some very bored Gods too; ones that are more interested in where the next takeaway curry is coming from than whether or not your boiler gets fixed properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back