Baxi Bahama 100: Flooding

nad

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
came to the kitchen this morning to find that it was all flooded thanks to Bahama boiler. :evil:

Pressure was way over 3 but after switching it off and turning on the sink tap, it went down to zero.

No more flooding but now the boiler is not firing? Is it something to do with flow switch?

Any advice, suggestions, help etc. would be greatly appreciated!

many thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
thanks for your reply. What's to stop from the boiler flooding my kitchen again?

is the replacement of heat exchanger something a simple job for a newbie (e.g. me!) or something for a qualified plumber?

It may not be the heat exchanger, they leak spontaneously from several different places, and the pressure gauges are hopeless.

This is the worst boiler produced recently. It will give you nothing but trouble. Replace it as soon as possible.

Sponsored Links
agreed re this boiler being crap but I am moving out of this flat soon so not sure if it is worth replacing the boiler.

Just want heating and hot water back soon! :) I will give a plumber a call and get a qoute.

But why did the boiler flood in the first place? yesterday when I came to the kitchen, the water coming out of the boiler looked like a big waterfall and caused some serious flooding. :(

It is off at the moment but I am worried -- if the boiler is off, then nothing will happen?

Thanks!

With the pressure over 3 Bar, the pressure relief valve should have opened. This valve is supposed to be connected to the outside of the house. A classic installation 'mistake' (usually of the 'deliberate' kind) is that there is no connection! So when the valve opens the water p***es out of the bottom of the boiler! Count the pipes coming out of the bottom of your boiler - there should be 6 altogether.

If there's a cost-effective repair for the original cause of the over-pressure, replacing the PRV (which will now leak persistently) and installing an Emergency Discharge pipe is cheap and simple.

many thanks for your replies! I got a plumber coming in to look at the boiler this afternoon but I am unsure on what you meant in your earlier posts (sorry I am in IT!)

croydoncorgi: Re number of numbers of pipes -- I am guessing 5 as shown below?
DSCN1446_small.jpg

I live in a 2nd floor apartment and the building was redeveloped (it is a listed building). So I doubt there is any valves, whatnot outside?

kevplumb: What do you mean by "just dont fill the heating".

About the pressure, the pressure always stood just before 1-1.5 -- everytime it happens, a plumber came, did something, it went back to "normal" but then the next day it goes back to zero.

So it was a huge surprise to see the meter being over 3 the other day!

Many thanks in advance!

a follow-up.

An engineer was in earlier today and the flame is back on but it is still leaking. He said the problem is in the red thing (shown in the pic below)

mar05_01.jpg

Which is where the water was coming out.

Out of interest: is this it (whatever this red thing is called?) or is there something else? I got a bad feeling it is something else! :p

Hey kevplumb, what did you mean by "just dont fill the heating"?

Apologies for my ignorance re boilers :!:

kevplumb said:
expansion vessel

if you dont put it in it cant come out ;)

right

I guess I can sleep soundly tonight knowing that the boiler switch is off (no idea what the water valves are??!) and won't flood my flat again! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back