Baxi Barcelona Lockout

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fortunately I have a 3 star contract with British Gas! If I did'nt I'd be penniless by now. The neighbours think my wife has something "going on" with the gas man as today was his fourteenth visit since Christmas! They seem to have changed everything on our Barcelona but the casing and it still keeps locking out. What I can't understand is why they still make this model and call it something else ie the Promax.

Sponsored Links
Hello chaps! :)

I'd just like to thank all of those contributors to this particular forum
for their valuable advice regarding this particular boiler, the Baxi
Barcelona 100 HE (100 HE/2).

Here is my story. Just over a year ago, around December 25th 2003, I
replaced our old boiler of 15 years vintage with a Baxi 100 HE, unaware
of the track record of this design, as the Baxi Barcelona.

To be fair, the boiler performed faultlessly for a whole year! :D
After the boiler was fitted, I came across this forum. Recently, in the
past month and after a boiler service, I became aware that the ignition
process was getting somewhat louder, from an occassional occurence,
to an every time frequency.

After checking for the known faults on this boiler, I decided on
replacement of the ignition board. I can confirm that the relay
components on the new board are enclosed in a black plastic
moulding, the old board had transparent mouldings over the relays.
On close examination, I see that some overheating has taken place
within one of the relays. Around this relay, there is some discolouration
of the old board, near a what appears to be a large resistor.
Anyway, I'm pleased to say that the loud ignition has subsided (for now),
although I was a little dismayed by the 80 pounds price tag attatched
to the ignition board.

I'll continue to follow this forum with interest. :cool:

HE_100

This was just the ignition board, I expect to be replacing the main
control board in the future. :confused:

If the boiler gives me much more grief, it will be down to the local
council dump in two shakes. ;)

HE_100

Sponsored Links
ONLY JOKING, BUT i AM A BOILER MAN, UNCLEBEN'S THE NAME AND HELLO TO ANYONE OUT THERE. i THOUGHT I WOULD GIVE UP ON THE bARCELONA SUBJECT , ALL THE TOSH SPOUTED AROUND ADVISING PEOPLE WAS GETTING A BIT TEDIOUS BUT ANYWAY I HAVE RECENTLY FITTED A NEW BOILER AND IME SO EXITED THAT i THOUGHT i WOULD TELL YOU ALL ABOUT IT. ITS CALLED A KESTON AND IT IS MADE IN ENGLAND. THE COMPANY WHO MAKE THEM SUPPLY FROM 24 TO 200 KW UNITS AND THEY HAVE A STAINLESS STEEL HEAT EXCHANGER, ONBOARD DIAGNOSTICS,BUILT IN MODULATING PUMP AND THEY ARE RELIABLE BUT HERE COMES THE NEAT BIT. BECAUSE THEY ARE SO EFFICIENT @97%, THE FLUE IS AN ORDINARY 2 INCH PLASTIC WASTE PIPE WHICH YOU CAN RUN UP TO 75 METERS , UNBELIEVABLE WHICH MEANS YOU CAN SITE IT ANYWHERE YOU WANT. iTS QUIET TOO AND COMPACT. I HAVE FITTED FOUR OF THEM AND NOT A FAULT YET THEY REALLY ARE A QUALITY UNIT,PS STILL GOT THE BAXI, I LEFT IT IN MY LAST HOUSE WHICH I NOW LET OUT THE NEW ONE HAS THE KESTON iN, WILL INSTALL A KESTON UNIT IN THE OLD PLACE THIS SUMMER. BEST OF LUCK. BAXIENGINEER

Kestons are great boilers ... but a bit like the old News Chronicle sometimes have 'coronaries': ie. some aspects of the design are obstructed by clots!

For example, the fan impeller on early C40, C55s tends to work loose on the motor spindle. Perfect motor, adequate impeller but no way of fixing them together again! New fan: roughly 180 quid!!!

Everyone has their favourites (I'll admit the Keston Celsius is one of mine) but IMHO ALL 'mass-market' boilers are built too cheap to last! They're improving but not there yet.

HE_100 said:
Hello chaps! :)

I can confirm that the relay
components on the new board are enclosed in a black plastic
moulding, the old board had transparent mouldings over the relays.

HE_100

Interesting - According to Omron (the relay manufacturer) the newer relays fitted to the ignition PCB have contacts rated at 8A, whereas the older transparent versions are only 5A, maybe Baxi needed to uprate for some reason.

I've got a duff board myself, so I'm going to fit the newer relays to see if it will spring back into life. I've checked all the other usual suspects on my board - transistors / diodes etc - but nothing obvious so far.

Ian

Hi all, I too have a bacelona and Nov 2004 it started locking out. Emptied the trap etc and it still locked out. This went on until Xmas week and then it started working again - we hadn't changed anything. 2 weeks ago it started locking out again, this time we really cleaned the trap of all the sludge, but no joy. We have replaced the control pcb but no joy and just replaced the control stat, still no joy. Then I looked on the web, I've been reading thru this and struggling to see if anyone has actually resolved their problem yet. I don't get the noise problem just the lockout (solid red light). I can say that if I start from cold (not run for at least 1 hour) turn it on for heat, it will fire up, when it's reached its room stat temp then stops, if I immediately increase the room stat temp forcing the boiler to restart it will lockout. If I turn the control knob on the boiler to off for about 20mins then turn it on again it will restart. Has anyone got any definate answers regarding this.

kevplumb said:
dont shout

RE DONT SHOUT

i DID GET A BIT EXCITED, i suppose it was the fact that Kestons seem to be a boiler that actuallyis reliable agaainst the barcelona and they seem quite helpfull. I can remember in the good old seventies when i used to fit baxi back boilers and baxi used to treat our firm with respect. It seems its been a downhill plunge from there for baxi especially since Potterton came on board. I suppose all boilers have thier faults but this barcelona unit andd baxis determination not to admitt fault with them, has really let them down.they have cost me £ 1000.s . I would never use them again and it allways brightens up my day when I talk a customer out of installing one. cheers for now uncleben,baxiengineer.

Now back boilers are defunct as from April with all the condensing hoo har I wont be using any Baxi boilers after all the problems people seem to be having.

ur still ok to use back boilers, were still building them...............the reson is, it almost imposible to make a back boiler condensing, and get rid of the condensate, so its a grey area, so fit as many as u like...............lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back