BAXI BERMUDA 401 ADVICE NEEDED

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can some one please give me advice on this, we had a gas enginer come round today to solve the problem with it going out. This is now mended turned out the pilot light was not strong enough so it was missing the sensor or some thing. Any how in the mean time when he took the fire off he found that the fire that was there was not the original fire that should be with the back boiler. Some thins about the flu that goes into the boiler he fire that was there was a baxi fire but not a fire that goes with the boiler so it had been hashed up with a bit of metal and other parts in order to make it fit which we was informed was highly dangerous and the way it was in there we where lucky we didnt run the fire as the fumes had no way of being stopped from coming out and gasing us. So he disconected the fire etc and then put it all back together. I asked him if this was safe and would it be effecting the gas boiler fumes and he assured me that this was perfectly safe and that the fumes would be going straight up the chimney. We just been doing some searching on the net for the fire etc and every time we find a piece about the fire and boiler it says that it is dangerous to run the boiler with out the fire being connected into the flume....Is this is case if it is what can i do??? I have two small kids running about the place and it scares the pants off me that he might have left me with a dangerous boiler

Sponsored Links
Have a look at http://www.baxi.co.uk/literature/index.php?type=installer - try to verify the boiler/fire combination. If the model of fire fitted is not compatible with the boiler you have, then NEITHER should be left operational. The correct fire needs to be fitted to the correct boiler to ensure everything is sealed as it should be. The boiler MAY work ok on its own/with a non approved fire positioned in front of it, but the regulations are clear...its a no-go area.

Thank you for replying, whats the best thing to do? turn the whole lot off for now?

I was looking at the website you directed me to earlier but couldn't find our boiler on there, maybe I'm just missing it?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
stevew1978 said:
So he disconected the fire etc and then put it all back together.

Confused....but
... If you have no fire fitted to your back boiler then do NOT use it

No way anyone can tell what the adapting bits of metal might have done to the operation of the boiler.

Would have to condemn it as At Risk, which means I would ask you for permission to turn it off and stick a label on it saying it was dangerous, and an offence to use it. If it were "spilling" proucts of combustion then it would be Immediately Dangerous and you don't get the choice, ultimately.
If you chose to ignore the AR red label and use it, you'd be a dork if you didn't at least put a carbon monoxide detector to monitor it. ;)

Ask Baxi what your options are.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back