Baxi Bermuda Back Boiler Replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi to all,
I have been reading this forum now for the past 9 or so months after buying our first home (very useful resource!). I am seeking advice for the replacement of our baxi bermuda back boiler (should have saved enough by mid next year!) I had BG come over to give a rough estimate in March, he quoted around £3000 for a combi replacement.

Since then I have been asking around and researching. I am not sure combi is the way to go for a couple of reasons.
1. I like the idea of having a tank of hot water with immersion (should boiler break down).
2. All our cold taps are fed by the mains, if we run 2 cold taps at maximum the pressure drops - would this not affect the combi?
3. Would it not be easier therefore cheaper to simply replace the back boiler with a standard boiler (less pipework changes etc).

I am also concerned that the new boiler needs a new flue (to the outside wall). Is there no way to utilise the existing flue from the baxi (its appears to be aluminum and goes vertically up to the roof). Currently the fireplace is in the living room, the back boiler is at the back and is accessible from the kitchen (via a cupboard door). To the side of this is our airing cupboard which houses all the water tanks and hot water tank. Pump, controller etc. Its been repaired and service by BG (had to get a new vent installed after first service) so I hope it will last till next year. I would keep it however I am aware they are inefficient, and certain parts can be difficult to source.

Advice received much appreciated!
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi to all,
I have been reading this forum now for the past 9 or so months after buying our first home (very useful resource!). I am seeking advice for the replacement of our baxi bermuda back boiler (should have saved enough by mid next year!) I had BG come over to give a rough estimate in March, he quoted around £3000 for a combi replacement.

Since then I have been asking around and researching. I am not sure combi is the way to go for a couple of reasons.
1. I like the idea of having a tank of hot water with immersion (should boiler break down).
2. All our cold taps are fed by the mains, if we run 2 cold taps at maximum the pressure drops - would this not affect the combi?
3. Would it not be easier therefore cheaper to simply replace the back boiler with a standard boiler (less pipework changes etc).

I am also concerned that the new boiler needs a new flue (to the outside wall). Is there no way to utilise the existing flue from the baxi (its appears to be aluminum and goes vertically up to the roof). Currently the fireplace is in the living room, the back boiler is at the back and is accessible from the kitchen (via a cupboard door). To the side of this is our airing cupboard which houses all the water tanks and hot water tank. Pump, controller etc. Its been repaired and service by BG (had to get a new vent installed after first service) so I hope it will last till next year. I would keep it however I am aware they are inefficient, and certain parts can be difficult to source.

Advice received much appreciated!
Thanks

A system installed whereby you keep a hot water cylinder will definitely be a good choice if that's what you prefer but you will definitely need a new flue to go with the new boiler and re-using your existing flue and liner is out of the question. You may also need to update controls and valves to the system depending on what you have there now.

Unless your Baxi Bermuda is a very old version then parts are most definitely still available for that and although a new boiler will be more efficient, I gauge efficiency on replacing parts and the cost of them as well as how much fuel it uses.

If you are stuck for a location for your new boiler then you might consider having it installed in your loft.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back