Baxi Bermuda Inset 50/6 - PCB failure

Electrical feed has been tested as OK. Pump is new, 3-way motorised valve is new. Checked and replaced 3 amp fuse. Even fitted a surge protected socket on the supply.

As I say, a qualified electrician has tested the circuit feeding the heating system.

I'm just so fed up with it and Baxi's customer relations are poor.

Sponsored Links
I am so sorry that you have had so much unresolved difficulty with your new Potterton appliance.

They are generally quite well designed and manufactured and the problems you have experienced have only arisen because their engineers are largely recruited as parts changers rather than multiskilled diagnostic engineers.

When I had a problem with a new Ideal boiler, eventually they sent someone from their design team who agreed with my diagnosis and the fault was fixed in five minutes.

Unfortunately, I have not had such a close involvement with Potterton/Baxi as their boiler designs are pretty simple but if your situation is not resolved within the next week then I will endeavour to assist you to get it resolved if you email me ( from my profile ).

Tony Glazier

tony is right . i used to work for Heateam the training is very basic .partly because they have such a large range to cover ( not just boilers ).i had little job satisfaction and left shortley

Sponsored Links
Something somewhere which has apparently been changed/tested, hasn't been, or you wouldn't still have a fault.

As I say, a qualified electrician has tested the circuit feeding the heating system.
Sure, but what I suggested is beyond what that probably covered.
New fuse isn't good enough.
Did your electrician have a mains tester which looked like an oscilloscope which he left connected inside the boiler for a day - I daresay not. Did he even test the earths inside the boiler?
There is always more to it. At least change the fused spur/switch.

In industry one would simply cover the boiler with recording instrumentation and find the fault the next time it happened. In domestic circumstances, you tend to get someone with partial knowledge poking round with a general purpose meter hoping for the best...

Is it a simple job to replace the PCB in a Baxi 50/6 back boiler? or do I need a gas fitter?

Had to switch off mains to change some sockets and presumably it got a spike when it was turned back on.

Impossible to remove/replace PCB on these without the fire disconnected, so a RGI is required. If not done already it would be a good time for a service and safety check. Who diagnosed a faulty PCB?

Impossible to remove/replace PCB on these without the fire disconnected, so a RGI is required. If not done already it would be a good time for a service and safety check. Who diagnosed a faulty PCB?

Local RGI had a look. Fixed it by replacing the Drayton programmer. Boiler was ok.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back