Baxi Combi problem! NOW WITH VIDEOS!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a Baxi Eco 80 Combi, that when the CH comes on it howls really loud, the system has been bled and the pump has been bled too. When the DHW is turned on it also brings on the CH! I know this is probably the 3-way valve, but when the DHW is turned off the boiler groans once more!!

The other thing is that the pressure can drop about 0.5b over a few days, though there are no leaks as all the pipes are exposed in the house.

What can be the problem/problems??

This is the noise when the boiler first starts up and stays like this for around 5 mins Jump to 55 secs CLICK HERE FOR RUNNING VID

This is the noise when the boiler is shut down!! CLICK HERE FOR SHUT DOWN NOISE

Also, if I run my finger under the drain pipe outside, it dribbles!!

Sponsored Links
SOunds like fan but pump could be part of the orchestra too - drop the front lower cover and put your hand on it while it's shutting down.

Yes, also seems there's a 3 way (=diverter) valve problem. They make odd noises too sometimes.

Pressure problem is separate, See Boiler Pressure Problems in the FAQ/Wiki.

Nothing terminal as such, but it's going to take a bit of effort to get this one right. MUCH cheaper than a new boiler though.

Thanks guys, Im inclined to think the noise is the fan as it sounds like its coming from the very top of the boiler.

Im going to change the diverter valve and diaphragm assembly as a whole, its only a tenner more than just the valve!
Then Ill address the problem with the pressure dropping!!
AAArrgh!!

Sponsored Links
Right, it was unbelievably loud earlier so I whipped off the front cover to try and locate the noise, it was coming from behind the second cover with the window in......so :eek: I whipped that off too!!
As I was undoing the screws I could feel the air being sucked in ( :oops: Yes, it was still lit) but the noise stopped instantly!! I then pushed the cover hard closed again and the noise started again!! Am I right in thinking this is more likely to be the fan??

Right, it was unbelievably loud earlier so I whipped off the front cover to try and locate the noise, it was coming from behind the second cover with the window in......so :eek: I whipped that off too!!
As I was undoing the screws I could feel the air being sucked in ( :oops: Yes, it was still lit) but the noise stopped instantly!! I then pushed the cover hard closed again and the noise started again!! Am I right in thinking this is more likely to be the fan??

It means use should not be messing round taking the c/cover off call in a RGI.

Its the primary heat exchanger it is contaminated with sludge/dirty water.You would also require a full check of your boiler by a rgi to gas rate it etc

Baxmax, if it was the HE then why would that have stopped when he opened the cover?

Of course he should not have been opening the cover!

Tony

Its the HE it sounds like a dive bomber so thats what it is.

Agile the noise does stop eventually perhaps it stopped just as the cover was removed...a coincidence.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back