Baxi Main boiler having problems igniting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Baxi Main Combi 24HE is having problems igniting. I first noticed about 4 weeks ago when it took longer than usual to light up . Since then, the boiler has occasionally failed to fire up. Reseting sometimes works but not always. Also, increasing the pressure can do the trick but I can only the take needle up within safe limits to achieve this result.

What might be causing the problem?

Sponsored Links
Given you said increasing the pressure helps,check the auto air vent on top of the pump is open...

Sponsored Links
This morning I woke up to find the boiler refuses to ignite. The flame failure diplay is flashing red. Resetting doesn't work and I can't take the pressure any higher.

I've noticed on the 15/90, there is switch for manual, auto and off. But on this model which is a 15/60, I can't see where that is. Would it be tucked away somewhere else?

Get an RGI to change the Pressure Switch and post back the results.

P46

Forget about the pressure, it wouldn't have any baring this fault light.

I'm affraid it's an RGI job from now as gas checks are needed, plus things inside the combustion chamber.

I could be wrong but on baxi/main faulty aps normally lights up the fan neon.

I certainly will call in a registered engineer this week to have the machine fully serviced.

Not before turning off the electric supply, I partially turned the large silver screw in the centre of the pump to bleed out some water. Now the boiler ignites.

Can anyone explain why this has produced a successful result?

Having turned off the electric supply whilst doing this, I partially turned the large silver screw in the centre of the pump to bleed out some water. Now the boiler igniting.

Can anyone explain why this has produced a successful result?

Coincidence. Turning on and off the power is what got it working again. Water pressure problems wouldn't give you a flame failure fault. Ignition problems are often intermittant so it may/maynot reset at any given time.

I forgot to mention that there is a ticking noise which appears to come from the pump. Because the boiler is in a separate room I hardly use, it may well be the pump has always made this noise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back